Lounger
    Thanks

Linksys and laptop compatible?

Been using this new hp laptop 8.1 with my old century link dsl m1000 ethernet modem that has no wifi connection to it.
    But now was given an old Linksy wireless-G 2.4GHz router to use for wifi.
    Would like to know if anyone knows if this router is compatible with 8.1 or not?
    I pushed reset button and typed correct number in browser to get into setup and renamed connection 'mosie' lol.
    but can't find setting to make it need a password for connection.And it has a warning sign about connection.
    But now wont connect at all and I read some where about possible wireless-G may not be compatible.
    I have had desktop for 15yrs and this wireless is all new to me.
    Thanks,mosie
    In mourning for my Win XP Desktop while using a HP laptop Win8.1
    Some times I am confused an some times not.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Mosie,

If what you posted is correct you have a problem. Your old unit was a Modem/Router the Linksys is just a Router. Thus it will NOT connect to your ISP's servers.

Now if you connect one of the ports of the Modem/Router to the Linksys you can then turn off DHCP in the Linksys setup and then go to the wireless/security section of the setup software to setup the Security protocol WEP, WAP, WAP2 (prefered) and the password.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You could just create a Virtual Wireless Router http://www.windows8core.com/2-best-y...windows-8-1rt/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    You could just create a Virtual Wireless Router http://www.windows8core.com/2-best-y...windows-8-1rt/
    With his old hardware but not his "new" hardware? Why?

Bruce

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    With his old hardware but not his "new" hardware? Why?

Bruce
    I don't really follow your question, but it's the newer adapters in the 8.1 machine that will be utilised without changing his physical set up from just the m1000 Ethernet modem and using the second method, the computer's wireless adapter should be compatible - although I've never had to perform this op myself as I have a modem/wireless router combo.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-04-17 at 20:22.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I need to clarify> My Actiontec M1000 dsl modem has a spot on top for a wifi module but can not find where anyone still sells them. And I also have a Linksy G router.I ran the ethernet cord from modem to router and it said I had connection but had a warning not secure.I put numbers in browser to get in setup for router and found where I could call wifi connection what I wanted. But could not find place for setting up a password. I will go back and look for where I can turn off DHCP and try again.
    I want a secure connection for my 1 laptop only.
    Thanks, be back later
    In mourning for my Win XP Desktop while using a HP laptop Win8.1
    Some times I am confused an some times not.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Just wondering if this article would help http://www.nil.wustl.edu/csg/faqs/ds...lessconfig.htm

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

mosie (2014-04-21)