New Lounger
    Thanks

Creating ad hoc network for classroom using Verizon Jetpack and Wi-Fi router

Hi,

I'm in a temporary classroom situation where I need to allow 12 PC's access to the Internet. My equipment is as follows:

Lenovo ThinkPad T60 (12 total) running Windows 7 Pro
    ASUS RT-AC52U Dual-Band Wireless - AC750 Router
    Verison Jetpack 4G/LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi 5510L (I have an SSID and passphrase, but that's all)

The Verison device only allows four concurrent connections. The hotel I'm staying/teaching at wants $120.00/day for 12 Wi-Fi connections. I'm teaching this class for three weeks, so going that route is out of the question.

Anyone have any ideas as to how I can setup this equipment to get my PC's (12 total) connected to the Internet?

Thanks,
    Joe M.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Seems to me that you could connect the Verizon unit to the USB port on the router (tether mode) and let the router do the work - I've not tested this. Then connect to the wireless on the router, not the Verizon unit.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've tried doing what you described, but the router setup wants a pin number, a user id and a password; none of which are available to me. All I have is the SSID and passphrase. I thought if I connected the Jetpack via USB to my laptop, I could create an ad hoc network connection to the router via patch cable and use the Wi-Fi to the other laptops. So far, no joy...

Joe M.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    That should work but you would need to set the DHCP server on the router to point the DNS and default gateway at your laptop.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One more question (please excuse my ignorance), do I connect the patch cable from my laptop to the WAN port on the router or to one of the LAN ports?
    Thanks, Joe M.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure how you've created the connection on your laptop. If your laptop is providing the internet services, DHCP, DNS etc then you should use the router in it's default config and connect the laptop to the WAN interface. If your laptop is just an internet gateway you'd use a LAN port. We really need to know what your laptop is doing with the internet connection.

cheers, Paul

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Toyman (2014-04-16)