Lounger
    Thanks

FIOS router and new Win8.1 PC

Following (the usual good) advice I receive here, I finally ordered a Win8.1 pc to replace my still working XP laptop. It's been 5 years since my laptop was installed on FIOS by a Verizon tech. Unfortunately, the tech did not share how it was done.

Is there a Step-by-Step around here (I have looked without success) to install a new pc (running Win8.1) onto a FIOS ActionTech router via a wired ethernet connection?

If not, has anyone else done their own install? Yes, I looked on Verizon's website and I could only find wireless (WiFi) connection instructions which focused on the software aspect of the WiFi and nothing about where or what FIOS software to obtain or install.

Since I have one (XP) working pc connected to the router, this should be a simple addition of one wired pc to the router. Maybe not.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Just plug the cable into the PC & the router.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-04-17)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe is right. I have 4 lap tops and 5 desktops that are all occasionally on line. My wife has two lap tops on line right now, and I have three desk tops on line. both of my wife's lap tops are running Windows 7, and two of my desktops. The other desk tops running Ubuntu 14.04 and CentOS 6.3. I also have virtual machines which were until recently running Windows 8.1, but the evaluation license expired, and I deleted it.

The thing that needs to be connected to the FIOS network is the router, and if you haven't disturbed that, then as Joe said, all you have to do is plug it in (or, in the case of the lap tops, connect to the WiFi)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Prescott For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-04-17)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    Joe is right. The thing that needs to be connected to the FIOS network is the router, and if you haven't disturbed that, then as Joe said, all you have to do is plug it in (or, in the case of the lap tops, connect to the WiFi)
    Maybe I didn't ask my question completely. After the wiring is connected, which sounds super easy now as you have described, Verizon then installed their software onto the pc. When I log-in under XP to mail.verizon.com/webmail/drivexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx their software loads my email and address book. I'm not clear whether that is coming from their website or loaded from my hard disk. If it's from Verizon's website, then I should be able to load it from any pc, anywhere, including a new pc by just entering the URL. Is it really that simple? I recall that there were several Verizon disks that they sent when I first started with their DSL, but like I said, I didn't get to see what they did to access FIOS.

Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Verizon FIOS but don't use webmail, but if I did, I would just use the link below to sign-in. Hopefully, this is all you would have to do to get your email and contacts.
    https://webmail.verizon.com/signin/

Rich

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rmonroe36 For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-04-18)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Thunderbird for email. Whatever email client you use, you will have an email address and a password, that you have to know,

and also you have to know the Verizon mail server names, incoming.verizon.net, and outgoing.verizon.net