Star Lounger
    Thanks

Langa - Recovery Disk with Custom Recovery Image

In the last Windows Secrets newsletter, Fred Langa described the procedures to create a recovery drive that includes a custom recovery image created with the recimg program. I have followed the instructions, but when the option to "Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive" option is checked (it is already checked when I run the Recovery Media Creator) it can't find any USB drives - Flash Drives or otherwise. If I uncheck this option it sees the available drives and works fine (but of course doesn't copy the custom image). I'm not sure why this won't work. I have created the image and copied it to my C: drive as Fred describes.

(The other issue here is the size of my custom image - it is 60GB in size - so I am using a 500 GB usb disk drive and not a flash drive - my largest usb flash drive is 64 GB of which only 60 GB is usable - so that is sure not to work. And, when I run this process, it can't see that drive either.)

Any suggestions? Any way to ask this question directly to Fred?

(I'm running Win8/64 (8.1 Update).)

David

Thanks
    First create your image to be stored on an external drive, Not the primary drive. Then create a simple recovery disk.
    The simple recovery disk is all you need to boot with and access the MS based image restoration & recovery tools.

You can test it by booting with the [simple] recovery disk, then hook up your external and locate the image.
    (If I'm not mistaken, recimg is not the same as a full fledged imaging application, at least not in comparison to 3rd party tools).

Better yet; find yourself a decent 3rd party imaging application and create a fully functional boot disk.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. What you suggest is what I already have set up - but Fred's article was interesting in that I could have the boot recovery software and my custom restore image on the same drive.

My question was that I followed Fred's instructions carefully and it doesn't work.

David

Thanks
    A whopping 60GB on a flash drive might have something to do with the failure, or you might already have an image.
    Try it again with a portable external USB drive, this time without the recimg.

but when the option to "Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive" option is checked (it is already checked when I run the Recovery Media Creator)
    It's quite possible that you ALREADY have a factory restore image located on a hidden partition that is competing with the image you already made with recimg.

You need to look into it and confirm if this is so.

For me on my system, I have no hidden factory restore image and therefore the "Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive" is grayed out and unusable.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-04-18 at 13:34.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If the option to copy the image is not checked, I can see all my USB drives - up to 2TB in size - along with the USB Flash drive too.

I do have a (300MB) partition called Windows RE Tools on my C: drive, but it is empty. It may be that the existence of that partition, as you suggest, is causing a conflict. It was created when I was setting up my SSD - but the recovery software was never copied there. I could just remove this partition and see if that helped - but I worry about deleting partitions. I had lots of problems setting up my SSD.

David

Thanks
    Do you not have any other internal hard disk drives besides the SSD?
    Are your USB drives always plugged into the system?

Open a command prompt and type in "BCDEdit", without the quotes.
    It'll tell you where your bootfiles are located. Unplug all the other USB drives and sticks first.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>BCDEdit

Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier {bootmgr}
    device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1
    description Windows Boot Manager
    locale en-US
    inherit {globalsettings}
    integrityservices Enable
    default {current}
    resumeobject {47c1394e-b91f-11e3-a1da-a606519491ea}
    displayorder {current}
    toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
    timeout 0

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier {current}
    device partition=C:
    path \WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe
    description Windows 8.1
    locale en-US
    inherit {bootloadersettings}
    recoverysequence {6b2a19d9-b91f-11e3-a1da-a606519491ea}
    integrityservices Enable
    recoveryenabled Yes
    allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075
    osdevice partition=C:
    systemroot \WINDOWS
    resumeobject {47c1394e-b91f-11e3-a1da-a606519491ea}
    nx OptIn
    bootmenupolicy Standard

C:\WINDOWS\system32>
    Probably a long shot but you want to make sure your bootfiles are not located in non standard places,
    as can happen during a problematic install.
    Windows 8 by default wants to have some of them located off the primary partition as you can see from my example above.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I checked and my boot files are in C:. I do have a second internal HD (D and a bunch of external USB drives which are always connected and running.

When I run BCDEdit it shows the Windows Boot Manager as "device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume2" - but that, I think, is because Volume1 is the EFT System Partition. My windows boot loader path is "\WINDOWS\system32\winload.efi" - different from your example because my system is set up to use efi (yours, apparently not).

Thanks for the great suggestions, however. I alternate between being interested in these technical details and just wanting it to work. (I actually use Macs for most of my "real" work - the PC is a "gaming" machine - and for programs that are not available on the Mac.)

David

Thanks
    David,

Here is what my output looks like on my Dell 8700 using Win 8.1 Update1 w/EFI & secure boot enabled.
    Code:
    Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier              {bootmgr}
    device                  partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1
    path                    \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
    description             Windows Boot Manager
    locale                  en-US
    inherit                 {globalsettings}
    integrityservices       Enable
    default                 {current}
    resumeobject            {926fe785-dea1-11e2-9931-b8ca3a8e35d3}
    displayorder            {current}
    toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
    timeout                 0

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier              {current}
    device                  partition=C:
    path                    \WINDOWS\system32\winload.efi
    description             Windows 8.1
    locale                  en-US
    inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
    recoverysequence        {926fe783-dea1-11e2-9931-b8ca3a8e35d3}
    integrityservices       Enable
    recoveryenabled         Yes
    isolatedcontext         Yes
    allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075
    osdevice                partition=C:
    systemroot              \WINDOWS
    resumeobject            {926fe785-dea1-11e2-9931-b8ca3a8e35d3}
    nx                      OptIn
    bootmenupolicy          Standard
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    When I run BCDEdit it shows the Windows Boot Manager as "device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume2" - but that, I think, is because Volume1 is the EFT System Partition. My windows boot loader path is "\WINDOWS\system32\winload.efi" - different from your example because my system is set up to use efi (yours, apparently not).
    No, I don't have UEFI, just plain old fashion BIOS.
    But it does look like you have a second hidden partition called Volume 2 were bootfiles are located.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

djredfearn (2014-04-23)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a copy of EaseUS Partition Manager and it shows that my boot volume is C: Here is what I see:

Disk1 (GPT)

File System Capacity Used Status Type
    * Unallocated 1.00MB 0 Bytes None GPT
    R: Windows RE tools NTFS 300MB 65MB None GPT (Data Partition)
    *: System Fat32 100MB 29MB None GPT (EFI System Partition)
    *: Other 128MB 128MB None GPT (Reserved Partition)
    C: Windows NTFS 465GB 252GB Boot GPT (Data Partition)
    *: NTFS 350MB 280MB None GPT (Unused Partition)

If I look inside the last ("Unused") partition I can see the WinRE tools: Boot.sdi, ReAgent.xml and Winre.wim. The partition labeled Windows RE tools doesn't have the tools - just the directory structure. I'd like to know what is in the "Reserved Partition", but EaseUS won't let me look inside that - though it is interesting that all 128 MB is being "Used" - for what, I don't know.

I realize this is a real mess. When I set up the Samsung SSD drive, it is clear that it didn't get set up correctly - though it works fine in normal use. I originally had upgraded my Win8 system to "Pro" when MS was giving that away free. However, when I tried to update that system to Win 8.1, the update failed. I got a copy of the "standard" Win8 disks from MS and rebuilt the system from that - so I don't have Pro anymore. Ugh, what a mess.

With all the mess associated with the Win8.1 Update now playing out, I don't want to try to rebuild anything.

David

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djredfearn View Post
    I have created the image and copied it to my C: drive as Fred describes.
    What is the name of your image and where is it located on C: drive?

That the USB drives are not visible indicates that a condition for copying the image file has not been met.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2014-04-20 at 12:39.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I followed Fred's instructions exactly.

I created the custom image: recimg /createimage D:\RefreshImage
    I created a folder off root on my C drive: C:\Win8-Recovery
    I copied the image to the new folder on C and renamed it INSTALL.WIM
    I registered the new image: REAGENTC /SetOSImage /Path C:\Win8-Recovery\INSTALL.WIM /Index 1

Then, when I start the create recovery image (the copy custom image option is checked by default) it can't see (any) USB drive connected to my system. It just asks me to connect a flash drive. I plug in another drive, and it doesn't see that either. If the option to copy the custom image is not checked, it can see all my USB drives - flash drives or HD.

David

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djredfearn View Post
    I followed Fred's instructions exactly.

I created the custom image: recimg /createimage D:\RefreshImage
    I created a folder off root on my C drive: C:\Win8-Recovery
    I copied the image to the new folder on C and renamed it INSTALL.WIM
    I registered the new image: REAGENTC /SetOSImage /Path C:\Win8-Recovery\INSTALL.WIM /Index 1

Then, when I start the create recovery image (the copy custom image option is checked by default) it can't see (any) USB drive connected to my system. It just asks me to connect a flash drive. I plug in another drive, and it doesn't see that either. If the option to copy the custom image is not checked, it can see all my USB drives - flash drives or HD.

David
    When you used the REAGENTC command line, did you get an "Operation Successful" returned?
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

djredfearn (2014-04-23)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes - it completed without error.

David

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to thank you both for helping with this. I think the issue is with the crazy partitions on my C: drive, but I have to address that very carefully. I do have another clone solution (Farstone DriveClone) which I can use so this is not a critical issue. I have been trying to make use of built-in Windows features however, and it is a shame that this doesn't work.

David