Thanks

Using Office online

I was sent a docx file to proofread but formatting in Word 2003 isn't particularly good. Even LibreOffice Writer is brilliant either. So I thought I would use Online Office. But it requires Onedrive and that requires a login on my PC with a MS account; I have a local account. Is there a way to login to my account to see my Onedrive stuff and edit it on Online Office without changing my login from a local account? I was logged in to my Onedrive account in the browser but that didn't work...

TIA

Thanks
    Just did some investigation. The thing that doesn't work with a local account is automatic syncing. However, logging into, say Outlook.com, then clicking on the down arrow by Outlook.com at top left, gives you a number of options, including Onedrive. Clicking on Onedrive shows what's already been uploaded. and these can be edited by right clicking and selecting either Word, or Word online.
    Obviously, Word online is a cut down version which doesn't have track changes (at least I couldn't see them) but comments can be added , so I could use these to point out typos and infelicities. You can then download to the computer and save it.
    Slightly more convoluted than having the MS account but it can work.
    Actually, as you can upload file by file, and also multiple selections, it might be a better option if you are choosy about which files are in your cloud.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Office 2010 Starter is freely downloadable, and it consists of moderately pared down versions of Word 2010 and Excel 2010. There may be enough in that to serve your purpose, and a bonus feature is that it can be put on a flash drive (or as many flash drives as you like) to take with you.

Oops, I just did a search and you may need to have Win 7 or higher, I think, and one post said that it only works on 32-bit versions. I have mine on flash drives, but haven't tried to use it for a very long time, so perhaps other Loungers can help out here.

OK, I just tried mine (run from a flash drive on a 64-bit computer) and the spellcheck works and there is some sort of proofing beyond that, so you will probably be fine if you can download a copy. Availability is the only question remaining.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2014-04-26 at 00:58. Reason: Expanded content

Thanks
    Different websites don't seem to agree on what OS you require. MS's site doesn't mention it (from what I found). Other sites say 32 bit only, or not on W8 (which is my OS). But it doesn't have track changes or comments, whereas Office online has the latter.

Otherwise it seems fine!!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is the spiel I got when I tried to use mine on a computer with Windows 8.1(1) and Office 2013x64:

Microsoft Office Starter To-Go

This product requires Windows Vista with SP-1 or later OS.

You cannot install the 32-bit version of Microsoft Office 2010, because you have 64-bit versions of Office products installed. These 64-bit products are not supported with 32-bit installations:
    [List of Office 2013 64-bit items]
    Windows 8 should be no problem, and a 64-bit OS should be no problem, unless you have 64-bit Office components installed and your Office Starter is 32-bit – and if you’re fooling around with a setup like that you have no need for Office Starter. In fact you can’t easily get rid of Office Starter if it was on your computer when you bought it, so look around and see if it is already on your machine. I’m not sure myself if there is an Office 2013 Starter version or not, as I have never bought a computer with Windows 8 pre-installed.

As far as I know you should have no trouble opening doc files in Office Starter, editing them in that, and saving them as docx files, and the same applies to Excel. It lacks all the features of the full program which, this being an introductory tool, you may find you want to buy. You can see what the controversial Ribbon is all about (I don’t mind it a bit), get comfortable with the way the program works, and discover (to Microsoft’s delight) that you’re hooked.

Microsoft should make Office Starter much easier for people in your position to get, and give me a cut of the profit for suggesting it.

A completely different approach that might give you more flexibility is Microsoft Word Viewer.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2014-04-26 at 13:02.