Lounger
    Thanks

From Excel need to run access (Excel 97)

I want to add a command button to an Excel program that I have that will allow me to open and run a form in an access database. I am thinking this should be easy but have yet to be able to accomplish this task. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: From Excel need to run access (Excel 97)

Access 97 was not an automation server, which meant you couldn't run it from another Office application in the same way that you could run Word or Excel from Access. Access 2000 and XP *are* automation servers and you should be able to do what you're trying with either of those versions.
    Charlotte

Thanks

Hi,
    I'd suggest adding a hyperlink to your database into your Excel spreadsheet. If you set your Access form to open automatically when the Access database starts up, this should achieve pretty much what you want.
    Hope that helps.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

If it's not too late, here's another approach. A question was posed on the Word lounge on how to run the Windows Calculator program from within Word. I gave the answer at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=wrd&Number=58805&page=& view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post58805> post # 58805 </A>. This answer required you to have Int Explorer.

In your case, you want to run Access. The same approach applies. If you want to open a particular Access DB (which it sounds like you do), then I'd use a shortcut to the file name rather than to Access itself. That is the shortcut to the file should be what goes into your favorites folder (instead of the shortcut to Calculator or to Access).

Then I'd do what Rory said about having the Form be the first thing that opens when the DB is opened.

Fred

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

An easy way to do this is, in design mode, select the command button and then select Insert > Hyperlink menu command to open the Insert Hyperlink dialog. Use "Browse for File...." to locate the Access database you wish to open. If you then click the "Bookmark" button to specify a database object to open, you will get the helpful message, "Microsoft Excel could not open this file or could not parse a file of this type." However, in Access, the Insert Hyperlink dialog allows you to specify an object in another database (or the current one) to open. The hyperlink subaddress is entered in this format: #[Type of Object] [Name of Object]. The same format will work in Excel, you just have to enter the subaddress "manually". Example: Enter this hyperlink to open the "Customers" form in the Northwind.mdb database:

<pre>..Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeSamplesNorthwind.mdb#Form Customers</pre>

Note: In the spreadsheet, the hyperlink text will be displayed as "...Northwind.mdb - Form Customers"
    I'm using Office 2000 SR 1A but tested this in Excel 97 and it worked.