Thread: Custom schemes

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Custom schemes

This is a slightly different question, but this seemed to be the best place to ask it. On my Windows 7 laptop, I have set up several custom themes, and also modified extensively the Window Color->Window Color and Appearance items. From the text on the Control Panel->Personalization page, it seems to say that a custom theme file also contains the changes I made to Window Color and Appearance. Can someone confirm that this is true, and if not, where do I find the file for the Window Color and Appearance items I modified?

Also, I have changed my mouse properties, and set up custom schemes for them. Where are these custom schemes saved?

I am asking because I want to make sure these files are copied to my new Windows 7 desktop.

Thanks,

Harry

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Where you save a custom theme you can right click on that theme and Save theme for sharing. The system will ask where you want to save it and create a themepak which you can then import into your new system, or share with anyone else if you like.\

Alas, I do not know where custom cursor schemes are saved.

Just thought of a way you might be able to find it though; create a dummy cursor scheme and save it under a unique name like "thesearenotthedroids," then search and find that folder.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2014-04-18 at 13:00.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post

Just thought of a way you might be able to find it though; create a dummy cursor scheme and save it under a unique name like "thesearenotthedroids," then search and find that folder.
    Great suggestion. I just tried it, but unfortunately no such file can be found. So it must not be a file.

Harry

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Harry,

Before saying it can't be found, run the search again after going to Tools|Folder Options|View and unchecking "Hide protected operating system files."

Zig

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Zig:

Good suggestion, but that was not it.

'Hide Protected operating system files' was already unchecked, and 'Show hidden files and folders' was already checked.

Harry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hmw View Post
    Great suggestion. I just tried it, but unfortunately no such file can be found. So it must not be a file.

Harry
    It's in a dll file. Sorry I can't say which one, though. I know background images are in Windows\System32\imageres.dll.

There is an unsupported tool, Resource Hacker, that can decompile and recompile Windows Resource (res) dll's and executables. They can be opened with Resource Hacker, edited, then recompiled.

I've used it with success in XP and in Windows 7, but as I said, it's unsupported; use at your own risk.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows