New Lounger
    Thanks

Macrium Reflect and Windows PE

I have 2 images of laptops created about a year ago with Macrium Free. They verified OK when created.

Now they still verify OK from normal Windows. But when I boot the rescue CD (Windows PE), both images fail verification (MD5 sum). I tried creating boot CDs with PE 3.0 and 5.0, same deal. Both images fail immediately. The images are on an external USB hard drive. The boot CD is created from within Macrium.

I did try to ignore the failure and restore anyway, but it refused, failed MD5 sum.

Can anyone clue me in on what might be going on and/or how to solve the issue? Thanks

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What is Windows PE ?

I reckon your best bet is Macrium Support as it sounds like an issue within their software.

Thanks
    Image verification errors may not have anything to do with Macrium, but may indicate a problem with your OS or it's hardware.

Understanding Image Verification Failures

ExactFile
    Making sure that what you hash is what you get.

Instructions PDF

Macrium Reflect USB Rescue Options

Run the simple checkdisk (chkdsk C: /F), if you come across errors run the more advanced chkdsk C: /R. (takes longer)
    Run Memtest86 from a bootable disk for at least 5-6 hrs to check for memory related errors.
    How to Test PC Ram with MemTest86
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-04-19 at 12:25.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Clint. After verifying OK once (several images), now all images fail verification on any and all machines I connect the USB HDD to (the drive containing the images). Under W7 or PE. The drive itself works fine and passes chkdsk and any other tools I throw at it.

BUT

I took your hint and ran exactfile. If I copy the image to an internal drive I get different MD5 checksums. Also, if I run exactfile multiple times on the original image I get different checksums. The number of bytes reported stays the same.

This would suggest that there is something goofy with the external HDD or controller, but the image itself is not corrupt. Any hints for troubleshooting and/or salvaging the images before I reformat the drive?

Thanks
    None that I can come up with, but it might not be a bad idea to present your findings on the Macrium forums.

Have you tried copying the image to another drive?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Macrium forum is only open to paying customers, which I am not currently. Using the free version.

Yes I did copy the image to an internal drive and the copy fails Macrium verification. I am now trying to copy the image as a duplicate to the same drive it's on.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What format was the USB stick prior to putting the images on it?

Also, for whatever reason, Macrium hates it when you copy an image to another source like a hard drive and what not. I ran in to the same problem and somewhere I found a note about this. So since then I never copy the images and no issues ever.
    "Every Thing Changes but Change Itself"

[Core I7 920 DO][Asus P6T Deluxe v2][9GB Corsair memory][EVGA GTX 260 SC][1 x 256GB Crucial M4][750W Corsair PSU][Antec 900][Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit][3 x Dell U2410 @max. res.]

[Core I5 2500k][Asus P8P67 Pro (ver 3.1)][8GB Corsair memory][Asus ENGT430][1 x 90GB Corsair GT SSD][650W Corsair PSU][Thermaltake DH-202][Windows 7 Home, 64-bit][65" Panasonic Plasma T.V.]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There is no USB stick, it's an external USB hard drive. Regular drive, not SSD.