2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word97 and Office2000 Proofing Tools

Wanting to be able to spell check French and German documents in Word97, I bought the Office 2000 Proofing Tools, after being assured by the vendor that they would work in Office97. Actually, the installation does not allow installation into anything but Office2000, but I looked on the CDROM and simply copied the relevant files into the Proof directory. This sort of worked as I can now grammar check in French and German (in French and German too!), but the spell check does not work, or at least no red line appears underneath mis-spellings (nothing appears on right-click either). Does anyone have any idea if the Office2000 Proofing Tools DO work with Office97 or not? Am I missing something here - maybe it's not enough to simply copy the files into the Proof directory? Thanks for any suggestions[img]/w3timages/icons/kiss.gif[/img]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word97 and Office2000 Proofing Tools

Actually, I've managed to solve my own problem, with the help of Cindy Meister (her Word site http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/ is well worth a look). She suggested using Outlook 98 of all things! It seems that Outlook 98 comes with a number of foreign spellcheck dictionaries and lexicons included. I couldn't extract the dictionaries in the way she suggested, but WinZip pulled them out and I copied them to the Proof directory. This still didn't work completely (German was fine, but French still refused to spell-check at all), so in the end I just installed Outlook 98 in toto (I had Outlook 97 installed but don't use it, preferring Outlook Express for email), and everything was hunky-dory. And the best part was that I had Outlook 98 because it was given away on a cover disk for the magazine PC Plus some two years ago! I always knew it would come in useful some day ..... [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pathetic attempt at a signature, hopefully better below!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Oh I give up!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

FWIW, Cindy is an active contributor in some of the Word newsgroups (for instance, Word 97 VBA newgroup at:
    http://www.deja.com/[ST_rn=if]/group/microsoft.public.word.word97vba

I can't mark up the url because it has square brackets embedded.

It's an excellent resource- I see some contributors here are active there as well- Cindy and the newsgroup have been of great help to me in the past.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Keith:
    Slightly off topic but I had the same problem with the signature. Do this:
    1. Start from scratch & click brush script icon.
    2. Select the part that says text & click a color icon.
    3. Position the cursor just before the end brackets for brush script, click the next color icon. Repeat 3 more times (5 colors for 5 letters).
    4. Select the first "text" & type "K". The next "text", type "e", etc.

You have to do it in one fell swoop or else you have to keep deleting things like font face, etc. Practice on the test forum.

Hope this helps.