Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hmw View Post
    Dave:
    >>I personally don't use HomeGroup networking at all and my networking works and I backup two computers across the network with no issues<<
    How do you set that up without HomeGroup?
    Harry
    From what I understand, HomeGroup just sits on top of the "Home Networking" on the machines to make it easier. I use the term "Home Networking" because I am not sure of the correct terminology. In essence, you turn on Network Discovery and File and Printer Sharing and it is enabled. To make sure you can get to the other computers on the network, be sure you have the same Workgroup name on each. Then, for individual files and directories, you can set shares and permissions to access them across the network. That's about all I can squeeze in on a forum post. :-)

I'm still not quite sure of your setup for backing up (I sometimes miss details) but I am thinking you have an XP computer that has a backup drive on it, either internal or external, which you would like to have your program send the backup files to. If so, my recommendation at this point would be to set up networking, create a directory on the backup drive and be sure you can copy files back and forth into that directory. If so, the network is working correctly. Then, set up your backup program to use that directory and it should work.

I'm more of a hands on kind of guy rather than the explaining type so bear with me. :-P

-Commander Dave

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dave:

You said:

>> In essence, you turn on Network Discovery and File and Printer Sharing and it is enabled<<

Where do you find these commands?

You understand my backup system perfectly. I use an external USB drive which is connected to my XP. I can access it from any of my computers (as long as the XP is on, of course). The only problem, if you can call it that, is that using Windows Backup & Restore requires the HomeGroup password if I try to access it via the network. Other backup programs that I use do not have that restriction.

Incidentally I just got my new Win 7 desktop up and running. I used Windows Backup & Restore to create an image backup on an internal hard drive of this new computer. The password is not asked for when using a direct connection--only when accessing via a network.

Harry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Those particular commands are under "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings" in Windows 7.

It is very odd that you can do everything with your network and it asks for a password just on the backup. Of course, I guess that is why you started this thread! LOL

I'm out of good ideas, so the last thing I would try is to remove the HomeGroup from your windows 7 machine and try the backup without it. You can always rejoin later if it doesn't work.

Good luck - I think that is about all the ideas I have.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander Dave View Post
    Those particular commands are under "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings" in Windows 7.

Dave:

Found that screen. Thanks. Those two items were already checked for 'Home or Work (current profile)'. And I assume that under 'HomeGroup connections' if I check "Use user accounts and passwords....' that will disconnect me from the HomeGroup?

I also noted there is a 'Password protected sharing', and mine is checked to 'Turn on....'. I could not find any help for this topic, so not sure what that really does.

Harry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12