Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Notepad++ questions

I spent several hours last night trying to find an answer to this question, but had no luck.

The collapse/uncollapse column, with the +/- in it, on the left hand side of the screen just to the right of the line number column, is there any way to hide that column? For my purposes I do not need it and it is just a distraction for my eyes. I looked through every setting I could find and never could find anything that addressed it.

One other question about what I think is called marking a line or lines of code with the blue circle just to the right of the line number... I could find a real good use for that, but it does not appear to "stay" with the file when it is saved and the information in the documentation did not exactly make it real clear what that is used for, at least not in a language I could understand Could someone also explain what that feature is for?

Thanks!

Pam

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Pam,

You need to change the Language to Normal Text.
    Here's a PowerShell program displayed with Language set to PowerShell and the selection menus displayed.
    NP++1.JPG
    Here's the file after the selection is made.
    NP++2.JPG
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

PamS (2014-04-20)

Thanks
    Bless you RG! That never would have occurred to me! That also fixed another "issue" I had which was color tagging the html tags, now that is gone as well.

Pam

Thanks
    Pam,

I'm confused, if you are writing HTML why don't you want the color coding and code group lines? These make it much easier to see that you haven't missed a closing tag and what code is included in a group/program structure.

As for your second question about the blue dot I haven't found out how to do that or what it represents yet as I just downloaded the program today.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

PamS (2014-04-20)

Thanks
    RG, I guess I got too use to just plain and simple. I used EditPad ever since way back in the day and it was plain and simple. What I liked most about it was I could change the color of the background so I did not have to stare at stark white... my eyes just do not like white backgrounds at all.

When I moved my ancient copy of EditPad over to my new Win7 machine, the scrolling of the screen just did not work right like it did on my XP machine. I even tried the newest version of EditPad, but hated it... it was no longer the simple text editor I had grown to love over the past decade or so and its scrolling was not much better. So I finally got fed up and went looking for something else.

So far Notepad++ is what I have been looking for. I can make everything look like I want it and after I have used it for awhile, I may turn the color coding back on, but for now I am going to leave it off as it was just too distracting to me. I could see the benefits of having it on, but for now, I don't need the distraction.

I also love that I can close it out with the pages that I want it to restart with again the next time I open it and the line I need to start with first are already highlighted as long as I remember to do that before I close it out.

Edited to add: What I am finding is that it does not save the language settings change when you edit a file, it reverts back to HTML. I even ran the program as administrator and made the change that way and it still did not save it to the individual files once they had been edited and saved.

Pam
    Last edited by PamS; 2014-04-20 at 14:48.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The blue dot is a bookmark. Add a blue dot, then press F2 and the editor will jump to the bookmark, or the next bookmark. Bookmarks are not saved outside the current editing window.

Language is associated with file extension, so a .html file will always show as HTML. Write a macro that changes the language on file open.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Thanks Paul... unfortunately I do not have a clue how to write the macro or what to do with it after it is written I can learn to live with it like it is.

Thanks for the info on the bookmark dot... wish it was saved with the file, but that is ok.

Pam

Thanks
    Just a little update. What I have found with the blue dot for the bookmark is that it is actually saved with the files I am using it with. I leave the files open when I close Notepad++ out so they are ready to be used when opened. The bookmarks have been staying in place, which is great!

I also notice that these files that I am leaving open are also being treated as plain text files. But any others that I open and edit are still treated as HTML files... strange that the 3 html files I leave opened in the program when it is closed down are staying as plain text but I cannot get any others to do that. But since these are 3 files I use every single day, I can live with this I think.

Thanks for everyone's help. It is much appreciated... now to find a font I can learn to love.

Pam

Thanks
    Pam,

I find when I'm coding I always like to use Courier New as it is mono spaced and makes it easier to line things up as good indenting is part of good coding IMHO. HTH

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

PamS (2014-04-22)

Thanks
    Thanks RG, I will try that one tomorrow!

Edited to add: Had to try it now and 12 pitch is perfect for these tired ole eyes!

Pam

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Give this a try...
    Go to Language -> Define your language.
    A monstrosity of a dialogue will appear with a button near the top labelled "Create New". Click this button and give your language a name (Say 'PlainHtml').
    In the "Ext" box type "html", press enter and close the dialogue with the red X.

You should now find that, when you open an html file, there is no syntax highlighting. When you decide you want to put syntax highlighting back in, just go to the same "Define Your Language" dialogue and remove your user defined style.

Also, if you decide you want a different default font, while in the language dialogue click the "Default Style" button and set the font you want to use.

Some of the settings apply immediately to the o[pen window but most only apply when you open documents.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sabarnett For This Useful Post:

PamS (2014-04-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Or, as an alternate, you can always turn off languages you don't want.

Go to Preferences on the Settings menu, click on "Language Menu" in the left box, and on the right side you can select the languages you don't want it to know about and disable them. If no enabled language matches your file's extension, it will be treated as normal text.

You can always enable them again later if you want it back.

Thanks
    I agree that for coding purposes the font must be a fixed pitch one, but I find Consolas and Andale Mono both significantly better to look at than awful old Courier.

P.S. Having used PFE for several years I switched to Notepad++ shortly after I started using XP.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jpl View Post
    I agree that for coding purposes the font must be a fixed pitch one, but I find Consolas and Andale Mono ...
    Another good monospaced font is (for me) Inconsolata from Google Fonts (and elsewhere).

Oh, and someone likes Anonymous Pro!
    Last edited by BATcher; 2014-04-24 at 08:02.
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

RetiredGeek (2014-04-24)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I just rediscovered Notepad++. While this is off the topic of HTML coding in Notepad++, I have to throw in mention of another great feature of this program. It has text encoding conversions built in.

My need was to convert UTF-8 text files (CSV and vcard) to Windows Ansi. This is because the outputs of E-Z Contacts (a great contact manager) are in UTF-8 but neither Excel (for CSV) nor the iPhone/iPad (vcard) will import UTF-8 correctly if there are any foreign accented letters. They will import correctly if in Windows Ansi.

Not all conversion programs will handle long records that are typical in contact databases with multiple addresses (personal and business) and note fields. I could use Word (open in UTF-8, save as Windows Ansi .txt, and rename to .csv or .vcf as appropriate). But Notepad++ is freeware that does the job simply and fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast