Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, the name of the old file is there, at:
    \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Store
    along with 20-30 other file names! The Data value is a very long binary sequence. Surely the entire file contents is not in that binary value is it? The other items in that \Store\ entry are a curious list of things! Is it safe to just go ahead and delete this particular entry?

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWilson View Post
    Yes, the name of the old file is there, at:
    \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Store
    along with 20-30 other file names! The Data value is a very long binary sequence. Surely the entire file contents is not in that binary value is it? The other items in that \Store\ entry are a curious list of things! Is it safe to just go ahead and delete this particular entry?

Thanks,
    Bill
    Yes, it is safe to delete that one entry that references the old filename, but only that one entry.

After deleting the entry, close regedit, do a cold reboot (shutdown completely, wait half a minute, then startup), and see if your Task Scheduler task will run correctly.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    If you're not spooked by looking in the registry, you can open the registry and do a "Find" for the name of your batch file. That might provide a clue.
    Strange -- I just noticed that the email message I received to tell me that you had responded to my message contains another whole paragraph that is not in the actual posting quoted above! The other part that was in the email message said to run the MMC as administrator. However, I don't know any way to do that! The only way I've found to get to the MMC is to right-click on the lower-left corner of the desktop and select the MMC in that context menu. But if I right-click on that menu item it simply selects the MMC; it does not offer a context menu with Run as adminstrator in it.

Bill

Thanks
    What you saw in the email was the original post. After the post, I realized that I had already mentioned MMC in an earlier post, so I edited the post. The email goes out as soon as the post is submitted, but doesn't reflect any editing done to the post after that. Also, a quick edit can be made immediately after posting, and the "edited" tag at the bottom of the post won't appear.

To run MMC as administrator, on the Start Screen, type MMC. MMC.exe will pop up in the upper left corner. Right-click on that, and then at the bottom of the screen you'll see two options, "Open new window", and "Run as administrator". Click "Run as administrator", and MMC will then open on the desktop after you acknowledge the UAC prompt (or put in the administrator password, if you're running as a standard user).

Running MMC this way will likely present an empty console, but you can populate it by adding snap-ins from the dropdown list (click on "File", and then "Add/Remove Snap in..." to see the list.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I'll try running the MMC that way when I get a chance.

I deleted the entry in the registry and shutdown and waited a little while and then logged into the User account and the old scheduled file ran again! Then I went back to the registry and deleted a second entry at the same location that referred to a different old file of mine and went through the same process as before and after logging into the User account the old job ran again as usual! BTW, I didn't set the original bad schedule to run on Login but to run once a day at a particular time so even if that schedule is still remembered somewhere it shouldn't be running after every login! I didn't actually realize that it was running after every login until earlier today. I'll try the MMC thing again after while and see what happens then.

Thanks,
    Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First, I ran MMC as administrator in the Admin account and I deleted the latest scheduled task that I had added yesterday. I deleted that one just to be sure it was not confusing what I was seeing. There was no sign of an old scheduled task. Then I rebooted and logged into the User account and ran the MMC as administrator. When I opened the task scheduler it did show a lot more tasks than it had when run without the "run as administrator" parameter but there was no sign of the old task that I initiated a week or two ago. However, as soon as I had logged in as the User that old task ran and aborted just as it has done every time the User logs in!

Obviously, I have no idea how to get rid of this old task!

Thanks for your help.
    Bill

Thanks
    Have you tried using System Restore to go back to a date before you setup this batch file?

Unleash Windows

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123