5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Strange Address Box in Internet Explorer

I recently bought a new laptop for my wife. It is running Win8.1 updated. I put a shortcut to IE on the desktop and it looks very different from the equivalent shortcut on my WinVista laptop, as you can see in the attached screen shot. Why does it have the extra tab? I get this kind of thing when I save a shortcut to a particular web address on WinVista but not when I create a shortcut to the IE program.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    You have picked up conduit malware probably by using the default install of a program downloaded from the web. To remove it, see http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-...h-and-toolbar/

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jerry, for both replies. I noticed that the screen shot didn't say Google.com like it did when I started the screen shot process a few minutes earlier but I didn't know that the change was related to the other stuff. I have started a malwarebytes scan on that laptop and I'll follow-up after that. I had already done the uninstall before I posted my original message.

I don't think this virus has anything to do with the original purpose of this post which was to learn why it starts out with two tabs showing where one of them isn't a real web page tab? I picked up this PUP today when I downloaded ScreenHunter from CNET but the Internet Explorer address area has looked like this ever since I created this particular shortcut several weeks ago. Is there some way to create an 'ordinary' desktop shortcut for www.google.com in Win8.1?

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    For the two page issue, go to
    Gear icon > Internet Optons > General tab
    and see if you have two Home pages listed. I suspect that the Conduit search home page will be one. Replace it with your desired web page.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK I looked and there is really only one home page. You can create the same look on your PC (any version) by doing this: there is an icon at the left end of the address box, right next to the "http" in the adderess. Click on that icon and drag it to the desktop. That will create a shortcut to that web page on the desktop. Now double-click that shortcut and the window that opens will have the double tabs where one is the actual web page and the other is a dummy of some kind that does not seem to have any purpose. If you close the good tab the window will close, it will not keep the other tab open like with two normal tabs.

I assume from the lack of any comments to the contrary that other people who use Win8.1 are able to create a desktop shortcut that will open a normal single-tab Internet Explorer window. So, I want to know how to do that! I want the shortcut because I don't want to use Bing which seems to be built-in in Win8.1.

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    The "dummy" tab is simply an unopened extra tab. If one wishes to leave the current tab open and open a new tab, just click on the "dummy" tab and it will say "New Tab" and you'll be presented with an address bar. If you're in IE 10 or 11, your recent history will be in the page as rows of icons, and you can click on one of those icons if that's the page you want to open. It's just another way of opening additional tabs.

To change your default Search provider, click the gear icon on the far right, just below the X and select "Manage add-ons". From there, it's fairly self-explanatory. I use Startpage as my default, and have Bing disabled.

For more control of Tab behavior, go to Internet options > General tab. In the middle of that page is a "Tabs" button. Click on that for more tab options.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2014-05-09 at 17:34.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    The "dummy" tab is simply an unopened extra tab. If one wishes to leave the current tab open and open a new tab, just click on the "dummy" tab and it will say "New Tab" and you'll be presented with an address bar. If you're in IE 10 or 11, your recent history will be in the page as rows of icons, and you can click on one of those icons if that's the page you want to open. It's just another way of opening additional tabs.
    No you have missed the point completely! I know about the dummy tab and have used it many times. I'm talking about the two full-size tabs that are visible in the screenshot that I attached to the original message. I have attached it again to this message. Just ignore the fact that the address is that PUP thing instead of google.com. I'm talking about the left one in that screen shot that contains the conduit.com address. That tab is not a regular tab. if I click on it it does not open a screen. If you try the experiment that I described in my previous message you will see what I am talking about.

To change your default Search provider, click the gear icon on the far right, just below the X and select "Manage add-ons". From there, it's fairly self-explanatory. I use Startpage as my default, and have Bing disabled.
    I'll try that -- I don't remember if I used that procedure earlier. Thanks.

For more control of Tab behavior, go to Internet options > General tab. In the middle of that page is a "Tabs" button. Click on that for more tab options.
    Thanks, I'll look at that and be sure to learn anything I didn't already know.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There's only one tab in your screen shots. The area beside the back and forward buttons that contains conduit.com is the (single) address bar.

The address bar can be resized (if you hover over its right border, then click and drag) or displayed on a separate row from the tabs (if you right-click on a tab, and select Show tabs on a separate row).

Bruce

Thanks
    Your IE title bar is set to show tabs in the same row. When you click on the tab, it doesn't do anything because it's already the "selected" tab. That's also why the complete address shows on the tab.

That's what makes the "drag for a shortcut" thing work. If you right-click on the title bar and select "Show tabs in a separate row", the address of the selected tab will appear in the address bar above the tabs. In this configuration (tabs in a separate row), clicking on the site icon and dragging will create a separate instance of IE in its own window.

This is how it looks with tabs in a separate row. The address bar shows the address of the selected tab. Clicking on the selected tab doesn't do anything; clicking on the background tab makes it the selected tab, and the previous selected tab goes into the background.

IE tabs 1.PNG

IE tabs 2.PNG
    Last edited by bbearren; 2014-05-09 at 19:46.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You are both right of course! I had never seen it arranged to have the address and the tab on the same line except when it happened automatically when I dragged the address icon to the desktop to create a new shortcut. I didn't realize that I could choose which way to arrange it!

Thanks for straightening me out.
    Bill