Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Run Task Scheduler in User-Level Account

I'm setting up things on a new laptop runing Win8.1 and I want to schedule a batch file run at certain days and times. The batch file will do certain backup things in the User's account. This laptop contains two accounts: an administrator-level account and a User-level account and it will be used on a daily basis in the User-level account. I have defined a task to run the batch file in what used to be called the Task Scheduler but the task doesn't get triggered when the time occurs. I also tried setting it up from the Admin-level account and it prompted me to enter the User's logon password! I expected the Admin account to have open access to everything on the laptop and not need any additional passwords!

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWilson View Post
    I'm setting up things on a new laptop runing Win8.1 and I want to schedule a batch file run at certain days and times. The batch file will do certain backup things in the User's account. This laptop contains two accounts: an administrator-level account and a User-level account and it will be used on a daily basis in the User-level account. I have defined a task to run the batch file in what used to be called the Task Scheduler but the task doesn't get triggered when the time occurs.
    It's still called Task Scheduler. You might look at this thread in the Maintenance Forum, Setting up Disk Cleanup in Task Scheduler for the basic Create Task structure.

I also tried setting it up from the Admin-level account and it prompted me to enter the User's logon password! I expected the Admin account to have open access to everything on the laptop and not need any additional passwords!
    Yes, you do need a password for a task scheduled for a specific user, and all scheduled tasks should be setup either from an account in the Administrators group, or by right-clicking Task Scheduler and selecting "Run as administrator".
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    It's still called Task Scheduler. . . .
    Well, on our Win8.1 machine if I search for "task scheduler" it does not find anything! If I search for "scheduler" it does come up with an item called "schedule a task" or something similar to that and that brings up what was called task scheduler in earlier Windows.

You might look at this thread in the Maintenance Forum, Setting up Disk Cleanup in Task Scheduler for the basic Create Task structure.
    Thanks for that link. I've read that and I should be able to make it work when I get access to the laptop -- it is actually my wife's and she is using it now!

Yes, you do need a password for a task scheduled for a specific user, and all scheduled tasks should be setup either from an account in the Administrators group, or by right-clicking Task Scheduler and selecting "Run as administrator".
    Thanks for that. I should be able to get it to go when I get the chance to try it.

Thanks for your help.
    Bill
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2014-04-20 at 19:57. Reason: Fixed quote tag pairintg

Thanks
    Bill,

Well, on our Win8.1 machine if I search for "task scheduler" it does not find anything! If I search for "scheduler" it does come up with an item called "schedule a task" or something similar to that and that brings up what was called task scheduler in earlier Windows.
    Interesting! On my Win 8.1 Update 1 machine I can search for Task or Scheduler and it comes up with the Task Scheduler on either the Start Screen or the StartIsBack search box.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    It can also be reached through the Charms Bar > Settings > Control Panel, and then if Control Panel is sorted by Category, System and Security > Administrative Tools > Task Scheduler; if sorted by icons, Administrative Tools > Task Scheduler.

It's been part of Administrative Tools for as long as I can remember.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2014-04-20 at 20:36.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    ... Interesting! On my Win 8.1 Update 1 machine I can search for Task or Scheduler and it comes up with the Task Scheduler on either the Start Screen or the StartIsBack search box.
    Interesting! When I did my search I never did get a result that actually said "Task Scheduler" and when I searched for "task scheduler" I got something like "not found"! I haven't installed the update that arrived a few days ago. Maybe that caused the difference.

Thanks,Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, bbearren, for the tips.

Bill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWilson View Post
    Thanks, bbearren, for the tips.

Bill
    My pleasure, Bill.

Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [Yes, you do need a password for a task scheduled for a specific user, and all scheduled tasks should be setup either from an account in the Administrators group, or by right-clicking Task Scheduler and selecting "Run as administrator".
    I have not been able to do what you suggested! I haven't found any way to right-click on Task Scheduler because the only way I've been able to get to it is to search for either task or scheduler and in the search results you cannot right-click on it. When I set up the scheduler in my Admin account and then try to have it run while the User account is active it doesn't run. The latest thing is a message that pops up that says "This task requires that the user account has log on as batch job rights. For information about setting this policy, see Task Security Context topic in Help." I searched Help for Task Security Context and got nothing.

I have never worked in an environment where there is an Admin account and a User account before so maybe I'm just missing something that should be obvious but I don't know what it is. My objective is to schedule a task to run in the middle of the night on certain days and have that task be the execution of a batch file that will pack some of the user's files into a ZIP file. The user's account will probably still be logged in when this happens.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Bill

Thanks
    Try setting up the task to run at System Level.

On the General tab, under Security options, click on the button "Change User or Group"... In the Select User of Group dialog that pops up, type system in the box for "Enter the object name to select", then click the button "Check Names". This will reformat system into the Windows way of names, and will be changed to SYSTEM. Click OK on that box, and SYSTEM is transformed once more to NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM.

Next, put a check by Run with highest privileges, and using the dropbox by "Configure for:" select Windows 8 (this will show 8.1 if you have upgraded), then click on the Triggers tab and proceed with setting up your task.

Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I got it changed to NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM as you suggested and when the task was triggered it apparently ran but only for an instant. In Task Scheduler the Last Run column shows the correct time that it as supposed to run. The Last Run Result column shows (0x1). When I open the task setup screen again I see that it now says SYSTEM, not NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM. I don't know if that change was expected or not. So, I guess I'm stumped again!

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Bill

Thanks
    Yes, it does revert to SYSTEM after the task setup has been completed. If you're calling a batch file, in the Actions tab, you need to fill in the appropriate target location of the batch file in the "Start in" box.

Also, all files associated with the batch file and its operation must have the appropriate permissions set in their properties.

Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ... If you're calling a batch file, in the Actions tab, you need to fill in the appropriate target location of the batch file in the "Start in" box.
    I have used the full path in every instance so I didn't think the target location needed to be specified but I did add that to the Start in box.

Also, all files associated with the batch file and its operation must have the appropriate permissions set in their properties.
    I've checked each file that is involved and each one has full permissions for SYSTEM.

When I run the primary batch file manually it creates a couple of other files within the first minute. Now, about 10 minutes after the task was triggered by the scheduler those new files have not been created but the status of this task in the scheduler says that it is running! If it is running it certainly is not doing what it is designed to do! I tried one more thing that I don't believe is needed: I changed the task action to run CMD and specified the batch file in the arguments field. That didn't make any difference.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    Post a copy of your batch file, complete with full path, renaming anything in it that might be of a sensitive nature.

Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, it takes several batch files to see the whole process so I'll post all of them. I've had to change all the filename extensions to .txt because the web site wouldn't upload the .bat and .zb files. The end result of this process is to copy a couple of ZIP files from my wife's laptop to mine and my laptop is backed up by Carbonite. I have a lot of stuff to be backed up but my wife has very little.

Thanks for your help.
    Bill
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast