New Lounger
    Thanks

Laptop clock keeps reverting to standard time

Since daylight savings time began this year, my Lenovo ThinkPad (Win 7 Pro SP1, 64 bit) keeps reverting to standard time. I have reset it three or four times, but later find it has again turned back an hour. Today this caused a near-catastrophe with schedules.

The laptop is always plugged into a power source, and the battery has been removed. How to get the clock stabilized at the proper setting?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Is the time zone properly set?
    RockE

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, time zone is properly set to Eastern.

Also, the computer is set to automatically synchronize with time.windows.com. (Which is why I find this reverting so puzzling, as other computers at other changes from daylight to standard times have automatically and flawlessly made the switch.)
    Last edited by nebbel; 2014-04-20 at 18:59.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Is your computer up-to-date with its installed software? You might want to visit this Microsoft site and review your installed software against their list here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_dst#tab4

I'd also check the time settings in the BIOS out of curiosity. I've not encountered your problem previously so I can't offer any definitive solution.

RockE

Thanks
    Have you ticked the Daylight Saving Time checkbox, having clicked on the "Change Time Zone" button?

Here's what mine looks like...

DSTadjust.png
    BATcher

Mr Owl ate my metal worm

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

nebbel (2014-04-21)

Thanks
    On a desktop this can be caused by the button battery on the MOBO needing to be replaced - is this the same with laptops? It might be a possibility that this is the cause of the problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I discovered this by going that one level deeper on time settings. The laptop is fairly new, and though the time zone was correct, the DST box had not been checked.
    Problem solved, and thanks to all who helped.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    On a desktop this can be caused by the button battery on the MOBO needing to be replaced - is this the same with laptops? It might be a possibility that this is the cause of the problem.
    I haven't busted into many laptops, but some have a small (like AAA, only smaller) somewhere near the main battery compartment, sometimes in a little trapdoor beneath the battery compartment that will hold power on the laptop for about 45 seconds, long enough to change batteries.

I haven't seen the button battery in a laptop MOBO, but that doesn't meant some don't have it.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    BATcher:
    Good call!

bbearen: Just curious, do you remember what brand laptop had that smaller-than-AAA shaped battery?

Button batteries in laptops (and desktops) can usually be counted on to run the internal clock, and to maintain the BIOS settings, for years (literally). Over the course of the last couple of decades I've rarely taken a computer apart which didn't have a button battery. (Before that time frame I often found large capacitors whose charge provided temporary reserve power -- which sometimes only lasted a few seconds.)

RockE

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    BATcher:
    Good call!

bbearen: Just curious, do you remember what brand laptop had that smaller-than-AAA shaped battery?

Button batteries in laptops (and desktops) can usually be counted on to run the internal clock, and to maintain the BIOS settings, for years (literally). Over the course of the last couple of decades I've rarely taken a computer apart which didn't have a button battery. (Before that time frame I often found large capacitors whose charge provided temporary reserve power -- which sometimes only lasted a few seconds.)

RockE
    Yes, my Dell D800. The battery was in a compartment beneath the main battery compartment, and one of its purposes was to keep the laptop awake (for maybe 90 seconds - one had to be quick) while changing the main battery for a charged up spare. I changed the MOBO in that laptop a few years ago. There was no button battery as I recall. The most recent one I've been into was a Lenovo, and I don't recall a button battery in that one, either.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My Compaq had a "button" battery which died causing the computer to lose the time and date. It had one of those little white plugs which connected to pins on the mobo. I was able to get a workable replacement from Radio Shack but had to cut off the plug and use the one from the original battery.

Most desktop systems use a CR2032 battery socket mounted.