New Lounger
    Thanks

I need your help to rescue my USB flash drive files?

Last night, in order to upload the USB flash drive files to my computer, I attached it there and tried to open it there. But, I was given a message saying that I needed to format it at first. But, my files there had not been uploaded. I knew it was dangerous to format it at first. The formatting process could clean all my things there. So, I came here and want to find a solution to rescue all my USB flash drive files back. Do you have any idea? Please, help me!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    The quick and simple first:
    You can attempt to repair it;
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5649221_repa...ash-drive.html

If you have hyper important files on the flash drive you don't want to loose, I would recommend that you image the flash drive first.

The last option would be a low level format (quick format) and a data recovery application to go to work on it, or the image of the drive.

*With flash drives there is no guarantee that anything will work.
    So remember to never rely on one single medium for important data.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-04-21 at 02:13.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "in order to upload the USB flash drive files to my computer, I attached it there and tried to open it there"
    --- How did the data get onto the flash drive?
    --- Were you working your data on the flash drive itself?
    --- Were you working on another computer, transferred the data to the flash drive and then brought the flash drive over to the Win7 computer?
    --- It sounds like the Win7 computer just wanted to format the flash drive, but how were you trying to upload the flash drive data to the Win7 computer?
    I did a web search for computer wants to format flash drive and got plenty of hits
    --- I cannot tell which choice that might apply to you but try a search
    If you did format the flash drive, that's another story but I'm hoping it's really a matter of finding out how to get the Win7 computer to work with your flash drive without formatting
    Do you have another computer to try your flash drive on and at least save the data
    --- As Clint mentioned: "never rely on one single medium for important data"

Thanks
    Try this from http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-...u-can-use.html

[Parted Magic Linux Boot was the best solution for me. I booted to a Parted Magic Linux Desktop, using these instructions ( http://fixit.litten.com/linuxfilecopy.html) a boot CD, mounted the corrupt drive, and after a few seconds of churning, Linux showed me all of my files and folders exactly how I last saw them. I mounted a secondary USB drive formatted as NTFS, copied everything without a hitch. After the copy, I checked all the files on both my Mac and my PC, everything was perfect.
    Jerry
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2014-04-21 at 12:00. Reason: Fixed quote tags.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-04-21)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    All right, my steps may help you:
    1). Do not format or overwrite this USB flash drive in case of data loss.
    2). Connect this USB flash drive to a computer and check whether all your stored files could be restored by using some data recovery tools like Recuva, 4Card Recovery, iCare Data Recovery Free, EaseUS Data Recovery and more.
    Just select a proper one for your files over the internet carefully.
    3). Save and back up all restored files on another drive in case of data recovery failure.
    Note: Never forget to save all important data on different drives or locations in the future.