Thanks

Copying a file which is open in Truecrypt

As a regular backup, I am Robocopying all the 'changed' folders and files in a partition to a folder on another partition.

In the source partition I have a Truecrypt container / file which is open in Truecrypt, and so I get the message "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" for this file, which is entirely correct, so the copying of this Truecrypt container / file fails.

Can anyone think of a way by which I can get the copy to work, without dismounting the file from Truecrypt (which is the only way I can think it will work)?
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Thanks
    BATcher,

Is the TrueCrypt container the only file in the partition? If so, what I'd do is to create a TrueCrypt container in the backup partition and then have RoboCopy exclude the Container files but copy all the files from Container to Container using the drive designations assigned by TrueCrypt.

If there are other files in the partition besides the TC container I would use the method above to copy the TC container and include that RC command in a batch file a batch file along with a RC command to copy the regular files. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    No, the TrueCrypt container is only one file in one folder on that partition, unfortunately.

I like your method, for which thanks!

However I feel that a more elegant solution is to use a program which employs Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS) to deal with the open file. This thought process reminds me that I had used ShadowSpawn with Robocopy some years ago for backing up open PST files, but had forgotten all about it. <groan>
    I will probably generalise this to back up the entire partition with Robocopy, and let VSS deal with the TrueCrypt container file, whether it is open in TrueCrypt or not.
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...