4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tool to merge HTML files?

I've encountered this problem twice in the past few years, and I wonder whether there is a tool to solve it.

The problem is: how to merge two or more HTML files into one?

Simply mashing together the <body> tags doesn't work, because the pages may be crosslinked. In the merging process the crosslinked references must become internal references. That is, a tag that starts as <a href="xyz.html#abc"> must be changed to <a href="#abc">. If two or more files use the same identifier one of them must be changed, for examples, from "abc" to "abc-2." And there's a whole series of less common issues to be addressed, such as: if two or more of the files refer to CSS or JS files, how do you decide the merge order?

I once did this by hand, and it was a horrible experience.

I could write this tool myself, but I'm not into reinventing the wheel, so if this particular wheel has already been invented, I'd like to find it.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just did a quick search and found this, which sounds interesting http://www.download3000.com/download_16643.html

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That does indeed look like what I need. There's no enough detail to tell whether it does the job right, but it's definitely worth checking out.