Lounger
    Thanks

Editing a 'doc.x' with Word 2003

Problem: I'm on the board of a HOA. A couple of the members send out 'doc.x' documents, and I need to edit them with my comments/deletions, etc. When I attempt it, a little box tells me that I can 'read only'. I have and use Office 2003. I'm assuming that 'doc.x' is a Word 2010 document. A fellow member suggested that I find a 'enable edit' button in order for me to edit. Your help will be appreciated. jim

Thanks
    docx started with Word 2007.

You can download the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for 2007 Office system from Microsoft Office Online, which will give you some editing capabilities:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...010044473.aspx
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2014-04-22 at 11:16.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Since you can open the docx file then you must already have the compatibility pack installed.

I expect that the file is read-only because Word is smart enough to work out when a document has been sent to you via email and Microsoft make half-hearted attempts at saving you from viruses contained in documents from external sources. However, it may also be due to protection that the author added to the document itself.

If you chose to open the document read-only then you can do a SaveAs onto your hard disk and then edit that document.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia