New Lounger
    Thanks

Cool XP total-rebuild option

Kept a hard copy of Fred Langa's 2006 article "XP's No-Format, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option". Just so happens that now a friend of mine wants help with his older laptop that runs XP. Sounds like Fred's rebuild idea would be perfect for this machine. He wants to keep it as a "spare" & has been having some issues with it. One question I have. He's pretty sure XP was pre-loaded on this Toshiba machine, if there was a separate partition with a copy of XP on it, it is not there now. I have a cd of XP from one of my previously built machines. Can I use that to do the repair build? If so, which product ID # would I use, the one that is on his machine now or the one that is on my XP cd?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If both CDs are the same version of XP, probably Home Premium, and you are doing the non-destructive rebuild, then I think you can.

If you were doing a clean install, then the OEM Product Key wouldn't work with the Retail CD (or with an OEM XP CD from another manufacturer, or in the case of HP even from a different model).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For folks who don't have it / can't find it, Fred's original article is here:
    http://www.informationweek.com/softw...d/d-id/1044226

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You need xp with #2sp to work on the roll over to W7
    The tasks ahead of us, is never so great, as the power behind us.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Something you may encounter is the install disk you are using for repair needs to be fairly close with the MS updates or it it will fault. That's how I learned about slipstreaming years ago. You use Nlite and update packs I don't see any of the old places that kept up with the new releases from MS.
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    Something you may encounter is the install disk you are using for repair needs to be fairly close with the MS updates or it it will fault. That's how I learned about slipstreaming years ago. You use Nlite and update packs I don't see any of the old places that kept up with the new releases from MS.
    Joe
    Click

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyl For This Useful Post:

Joe S (2014-05-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The 6 year computer which I performed CPR on, still had the CD's that came with it & the key code, with SP 2 in it, and it installed. Then I did a fresh install using W 7, Home premium, and a new key code. it took took no time to install. What took the time was in stalling 150+ updates. P.S. Jelly Bean will give u a key code.
    The tasks ahead of us, is never so great, as the power behind us.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It took a while to find this but if you do not want the hassle of reactivation for XP there are 2 files you copy before the install. Go to the C:\Windows\System32 then copy "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" and save for after install. After new install go in safe mode and copy them to C:\Windows\System32 I just renamed the 2 existing files. It will not work if the hardware is significantly different from that in place when the Windows Product Activation database files were created.
    Joe

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe S For This Useful Post:

Prescott (2014-05-24)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    It took a while to find this but if you do not want the hassle of reactivation for XP there are 2 files you copy before the install. Go to the C:\Windows\System32 then copy "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" and save for after install. After new install go in safe mode and copy them to C:\Windows\System32 I just renamed the 2 existing files. It will not work if the hardware is significantly different from that in place when the Windows Product Activation database files were created.
    Joe
    A very useful piece of information. I wish I knew this 15 years ago.