New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Scanner stopped working after replacing motherboard

I have a Canoscan 9000F that used to work on my Win 8.1 machine. I replaced my motherboard and video card, did a fresh reinstall of Win 8.1, and now the scanner does not work. I think it is likely there is a driver conflict.

In Device Manager, the device entry has a yellow warning triangle over it and the property sheet's device status is: "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

In System Information, in Components/Problem Devices the scanner shows the Error Code as "Failure using the VxD loader"

Here is what I have tried, none of which helped:
    • Reinstall the latest driver
    • Remove all other USB devices except for the keyboard and mouse

Any ideas of other things I can try?
    Any good how-tos on tracking down device or driver conflicts?

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Bill

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Start from a clean state:
    Uninstall the driver for the scanner and unplug the scanner.
    Then go into device manager and remove what is left of the scanner device.
    Run a mild registry cleaner like CCleaner's registry cleaner to fully remove leftover entries.

Re-boot your system, then connect the USB scanner to your system.
    Try one of three things:
    1. Allow plug and play set the tone for any setup & driver installs.
    or
    2. Open device manager and go to the new device. Use the device manager interface to update or find
    the driver on your system and let it effect the install.
    or
    3. Go directly to control panel's Devices and Printers section and select "add a device".
    Let the interface find your device & guide the install.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-07-14 at 22:58.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.