Star Lounger
    Thanks

Extract Graphics from Word

I am looking for a way to extract and save graphics files from documents in Word 97, preferably into the original graphic format. Any suggestions, please?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Extract Graphics from Word

Do you know how to save embedded garphics manually one at a time? Are you looking to do this in bulk?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

So far I've been able to save embedded graphics individually by copying and pasting to another graphics application. In bulk, I can save the Word document as html and that saves the graphics, then I have to rename them to denote context. Any easier ways would be great.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

JohnBF, an Australian with a ripping good yarn, suggested I respond. So I do.

Last week, anticipating your needs, (told you it was a ripping good yarn!) I wrote a graphics-ripper, and you're welcome to have the code.

It's a Word97SR2/VBA template with a simple GUI. You type in the source directory (for me it was always my CD drive) and a target directory, and the template goes to work colelcting graphics from the source.

My specific needs were for crude wallpaper (I'm Australian, too!), so as an academic exercise I saved the files as BitMaps with names ranging from 00:00 to 59:59 (one for each second of the hour) and ignored files of types 2, 3 and 4 because they make lousy wallpaper BitMaps. On my fifth run (!) I decided to ignore files less than 17K, because I didn't want a toolbar icon blown up ro 1000x magnification. You wiull see all these mods and fixes in the code.

If you'd like a copy, let me know of a convenient way of getting it to you and I'll send it off. You can look at it and pop questions to me here or in any other suitable forum of Woody's Lounge.

JohnBF: you can have a copy too as a finder's fee!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think WOPR also has a tool to save individual graphics out of docs to .BMPs or .WMFs...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

That may be useful.

Do you have a reference please?
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Um, not sure what you mean about a reference, but WOPR 97 is downloadable from:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/html/woprfree.shtml>http://www.wopr.com/html/woprfree.shtml</A>
    In WOPR 97, there's an item "WOPR Picture Tools" on the "Lil'WOPR Toolbar" to rotate, mirror, crop, scale or save the selection as WMF or BMP (your choice of filename, unlike the saving-doc-to-html solution). I've not seen the later version(s) of WOPR, but assume they'll have the same facility. I've extracted a couple of photos from documents this way, and the picture quality stays OK (unlike just copying and pasting into a graphics package, which tends to lose colours - and from my experiments, also bases the size of the pasted image on the size your view was zoomed to when you copied....)
    As far as Carloine's original question goes: I'm not sure there's always a way of telling what the original file type was, but once the image is out of the document, her "other graphics application" should convert into whatever other format she likes, and may have a batch processing function to do them all at once...