New Lounger
    Thanks

Is my email account hijacked?

This just happened again today. Can I even fix this?

I use Outlook.com with a paid hotmail account I have had for years.

My own hotmail address is listed in my contacts with all my other emails addresses of my other contacts or address book. So if an email is sent to all my contacts I get a copy also.

Anyway I noticed in my junk email folder that an email was sent today to most if not all of my contacts.

There is a link to click to open but I have not done so in case it’s not safe. There is also something about

“Mailer-Daemon@host.glvtech.com”

I did not send this email to anyone myself. This is happening about once every two weeks. And I assumed someone got my email password. So each time I changed it but it happens again.

Most of the time I use Outlook 2007 so don't see the junk email folder in Outlook.com. Just happen to check it today thru outlook.com and found out about this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Last edited by RR78; 2014-04-22 at 22:33.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Do you have any relationship with glvtech.com?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Do you have any relationship with glvtech.com?
    No

Also did find a place to check my account activity on outlook.com. Looks like these emails were sent at 7 pm. My account log only shows login activity for 5 pm and 10 pm.

Before I changed the password the first time I had noticed what might have been some strange logins. It showed a couple of login locations about 200 miles away from my location.
    Maybe it got my email contact list from the first time and still sending messages?

At least this last time. It looks like it only used my short contact list from outlook.com. And not all my contacts I have on outlook 2007 address book.
    Last edited by RR78; 2014-04-23 at 09:16.

Thanks
    The first thing I'd do is change every password to anything you log into. Then I'd run every know malware software you have then run your AV doing full system scans of all HDD/SSD you may have.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes, it's likely that your contacts list was obtained that first time. It is very easy to pretend to use someone else's account, even using a completely different email address from the one associated with the account from where the emails are actually sent.

Make sure you have a strong, long, hard to guess password. You should expect your contacts list to be put to use more often, though, if it did leak out on that first time. I fear there is not much you can do.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    There is another possibility here.

RR78 suggests that he sends emails to everybody in his address book, if the emails weren't send as a BCC everybody in his address book will receive everybody else's email address so the rogue PC sending the junk could be any of his contacts.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post

RR78 suggests that he sends emails to everybody in his address book, if the emails weren't send as a BCC everybody in his address book will receive everybody else's email address so the rogue PC sending the junk could be any of his contacts.
    Indeed, that is a very strong possibility and probably even more likelier than an account breach.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post

No I have never sent an email to more than two people at a time. And rare I do that.