New Lounger
    Thanks

Confusion: Office 2013 or Office 365?

I just got a new computer (Windows 8.1) and purchased "Office 365 Personal" at the same time. I *think* I installed it but the only thing I see on my apps page is Office 2013. Are these the same? Or should I see Office 365? This is made even more confusing in that when I go to the myoffice.com site, they keep asking for my product ID, which I've now provided TWICE, but they still keep asking.

When I bought this Office 365, I did not get a CD. It's just a little folder with a plastic card that has instructions to go to myoffice.com and enter the Product Key. I did that. I now have programs I can use (Word, Excel, Publisher, Outlook, etc.) but the facts that it says "Office 2013" rather than Office 365 and that Microsoft apparently is unable to activate it, makes me VERY apprehensive.

So, what should it say in the apps: Office 365 or Office 2013?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Office 365 is the name of the complete product including the online part. The desktop applications are Office 2013. It is rather confusing.

Joe

Thanks
    Office 2013 and Office 365 are the same, except that 2013 is the one you pay for one time only, and 365 is the one you pay for once a month or once a year.

Katherine Murray explains this:
    http://windowssecrets.com/best-softw...ture-showdown/

Note the "Shifting the Office paradigm to the cloud" and the "Costs of purchasing vs. renting Office" sections.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    When you subscribe to an Office 365 SKU that entitles you to install the click-to-run Office desktop applications those applications show up in a Microsoft Office 2013 group on systems which have a start menu and in a Microsoft Office 2013 grouping under the Apps section of the Start Screen for Windows 8/8.1. The individual applications are all "name" 2013 such as Outlook 2013, Word 2013, etc.

Joe