2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

TOC colour differs from the text colour (Word 2000 and 2002)

My Level 1 headings are Dark Red (128, 0, 0) on 30% gray backgrounds.

However, the ToC insists on printing the level one headers as reversed white on solid black. This is a nuisance because inkjet printers (a) leave the page all wet and ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] the solid black bleeds through the photocopy paper I use in my printer and this makes the even-numbered pages of the ToC look very untidy when using two-sided printing.

Any ideas, please? I tried Format | Style on the style called TOC1. It tells me that the font is Normal plus Arial 11 pt Bold. Here is the odd bit: It then says "Pattern: Clear (Black) and I can find no way of modifying this item. When I check Border... and click on the Shading tab there is definitely "no shading" in the style. Very peculiar.

Thanks in advance if you can help me.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TOC colour differs from the text colour (Word 2000 and 2002)

The pattern is in the bottom section of the shading window, and as far as I can tell seems to work on a percentage in some way; it should be 'clear', but the colour has been changed it seems to pick it up somehow.

To change the colour, select anything EXCEPT 'clear' and 'solid' in the Patterns: style box and the colour will become available; change this to something that works (eg probably not automatic, since that seems to give black!) and then change the style to clear or solid, again whichever gives white or whatever it is you want instead - you will need to change the font colour, too, of course, if you want to be able to see it against the now clear background!

I don't know why this works (or even if it does, for you - it seemed to for me) but I'd be interested to hear if it helps!
    Beryl M

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TOC colour differs from the text colour (Word 2000 and 2002)

Many thanks, Beryl M, for your input, but your tip didn't work for me. Perhaps it's because I'm using Office XP. I changed the font colour and then followed the rest of your suggestion: I changed the pattern, then I could indeed select the colour, but when I changed the pattern back, I lost the colour.

Another point (and this is difficult to describe, so I have attached a few pages from the document) is that I am getting solid black behind the text, but not in the whitespace (eg tabs). Changing the shading colour only changes the colour of the whitespace.

On the attached document (about 65k) go to page 4 for the ToC. The first use of the TOC 1 style is on the "1 Introduction" line.

Many thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files