Lounger
    Thanks

More Questions about WindowsXP Total Rebuild

I've used Langa's article to rebuild many pre SP3 machines with good success. But I'm stymied now. I've got a computer with Windows XP Professional SP3 and so to rebuild I made a slipstream disk with XP Professional SP3. When I get to the final install step there is no repair available only either format and install or install with no format. If I install with no format I get a clean XP SP3 with none of my apps or files and a Windows.old containing the system I've replaced. I can always change the boot to Windows.old and get my apps and files but then I get my original bogged down system. If I try to use a disk with Windows XP or slipstream SP XP2 I get the message that there's a newer system installed. Anyone get this problem and is there a workaround?

Thanks
    Your only workaround (to keep all your applications, etc.) is to use a disc with SP3 slipstreamed correctly. That will work just fine - done it myself a few times.

Use an XP SP2 installation disc as source for your slipstream. Paul Thurrott's slipstreaming guide is good.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2014-04-24 at 21:25.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. I'll use Paul Thurrott's Guide.