New Lounger
    Thanks

windows update for 8.1

I cannot use windows update. The message is " Windows update standalone installer, Service cannot be started because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. I have the downloads for Windows update standalone installer and the KB2919355 but they will not install.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try the Windows Update Troubleshooter at Control Panel, Troubleshooting, System and Security, Fix problems with Windows Update.

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried that, and nothing changed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So far I have had three Windows 8.1 computers on Automatic Updates that have failed the Windows 8.1 Update KB2919355. In an attempt to correct this, I have tried multiple attempts to reinstall the update manually (redownload with and without the virus program running), Microsoft FIXIT website to correct Windows Update and to repair BITS, chkdsk /f, sfc /scannow, CheckSUR by running at the Commamd Prompt "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth" (identified there was a problem) then "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" (did NOT fix problem). I finally tried Restore Points back in March, then Windows 8.1 Update installed MANUALLY, not on Automatic, along with the reinstallation of other updates that were not in the Restore Point.

Thanks
    The latest edition of the Windows Secrets Newsletter also offers some advice for a "trouble-free" installation. See "When the Win8.1 Update installation goes awry" in Issue 430 of 2014-04-24 if you are a subscriber.
    Last edited by petesmst; 2014-04-25 at 06:47. Reason: Added reference
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.