Lounger
    Thanks

Some Windows 8 questions

I am a new 8 user. Before I had done much at all on the new laptop the upgrade now prompt came on. I'll be interested because a few of the other interface changes from xp & 7 affected my blood pressure. And interestingly, this Dell with OEM installed 8 OS had a touchscreen freeze. Glad I had a mouse / touchpad.

It looks like I'm going to need to read the book to jump up to speed, but can someone tell me how to close an "app" like internet explorer? Yes, alt+f4 of course, but rather, with a mouse/touchscreen?

--Edit: answered that one myself, thank goodness, in they update they put stock widgets in the top right corner. Why in the world did they leave them out before? (rhetorical)

Can you right click a touch screen?

Has anyone had IE rendering issues?
    Mine was MSN was the default home page and I clicked on an article that opened to a rendering issue. That is, it had a column of related-items-metro-like-buttons that obscured part of the article, wiping out about half of the vertical text. I right clicked the picture, opened it in a new tab and it rendered perfectly (with the same column of metro like buttons where they should be.)

When I re-tested just now the issue was resolved.

Teething pains? Mine or Microsoft's?
    Last edited by daddy-o; 2014-04-25 at 06:56.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Seems only the right click issue remains. A right click can be emulated, in a touch based situation, by pressing and holding.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

daddy-o (2014-04-25)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good day, Daddy-o.
    You are one of the bunch ! We all have issues, ie: non-issues with any new OS and the 8 of any colour is same-same. As you did, one has to experiment with his machine and find out what the interface between the chair and the keyboard can learn. I am of C=64 vintage and still can not bring myself to use the numeric keypad, the C= did not have one so I am set in my ways.
    A touch screen is like any other screen, the "touch" is an added function. I do not use the Metro at all, remember, the C= did not have this. I use my machine just like a W-7 one to the extend that when away to my secondary home that houses a W-7 machine, I see no difference at all between the two.
    All this to say that you can experiment tremendously on W-8, make sure that the Restore is validated and use it if you get lost, as Drew said in another post, it is a great OS, the only limit is the above mentioned interface, you. ( or me ! ) Jean.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to handcuff36 For This Useful Post:

daddy-o (2014-04-25)

Lounger
    Thanks
    This is interesting, I had replied to another thread: "Have you tried 8.1.1" and it created this thread. I used quick reply.

Maybe an admin thought it warranted a thread of its own.
    Last edited by daddy-o; 2014-04-25 at 09:39.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Yeah, I did it. Moved it here and PMed you about it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4