Thanks

Looking for external hard drive recommendation

Good morning!

I have an HP Pavilion p7-1236s computer (Intel Core i3-2120, 6GB DDR3, 1 Terabyte hard drive) running Windows 7 Home Premium. I am new to hard drive imaging and would like to save the file to an external hard drive. I have absolutely no idea what brand, size, etc. to purchase and would love recommendations from other more experienced users.

Thank you in advance!

Administrator
    Thanks
    I have always had good luck with Western Digital drives and spotty luck with Seagate. I do know others that swear by Seagate. To recommend a size to purchase you need to know or guess:
    how much of the current drive is in use?
    what are your future computing plans which could contribute to using more storage?
    how many images of the system do you intend to keep?
    do you intend to have offsite storage of backups which means you need more than one device?
    what type of imaging regimen do you intend to use - always a complete image or full then incremental for a period of time?

Joe

Thanks
    Pammy,

Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster!

My experience with WD drives echos Joe's. One question you need to ask yourself is what price premium do you place on portability. The reason for this is the per TB cost of the My Book series is much lower than the My Passport series. Of course, the My Passport drives are small and do not require external power. The My Book drives are the size of a thick Paperback book and require a power brick. Amazon has the 3TB My Book for $119 ($40 per TB) and the 2TB for $99 $50 per TB) where as the My Passport Essentials go for 2TB $122 ($61 per TB) and a 1TB for $73. Note: these are all USB 3.0 drives. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Thank you for your responses! My hard drive is 85% free. I currently use Google Drive and OneDrive to store my photos/documents, so the only thing I would be storing would be the images. I have absolutely no idea how many images I would save...Recommendation? I just recovered my computer and would like to create one image now and then ???...maybe add to it every weekend, as I am a medical transcriptionist and use my computer every day for work. Because I don't have a current back-up regimen, I just spent three days recovering my computer and updating it; hence, the need for a new regimen!

Thanks
    Pammy,

I'd recommend at least 3 generations of Images. You may find that giving (I'm assuming here) you're not installing a lot of new programs you might want to consider the practice of taking am Image just before MS Patch Tuesday. That way you can then let MS auto update your system and if anything goes bonkers you can just restore the image. You might also take an image before installing any new software for the same reasons. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Thank you, again! I think I'll look at the My Passport and keep at least 3 images. I greatly appreciate your expertise!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    check reviews
    get one with a good reputation for reliability

they are all cheap these days
    wait for a sale at MEI

get a TB under $100. maybe 2TB under $100 now.

get several. rotate them as added insurance.
    make a new image anytime anything significant changed.
    use others to back up your data daily. and rotate those too.

Quote Originally Posted by pammywammyv View Post
    Good morning!

I have an HP Pavilion p7-1236s computer (Intel Core i3-2120, 6GB DDR3, 1 Terabyte hard drive) running Windows 7 Home Premium. I am new to hard drive imaging and would like to save the file to an external hard drive. I have absolutely no idea what brand, size, etc. to purchase and would love recommendations from other more experienced users.

Thank you in advance!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    pywy, hello.
    I will say this for sure, do a backup of any type but do one. Either images or clones. I support cloning as the answer to protection. Sure you can do many images on the same medium but I know of no body going to previous images, they always go to the most recent one. A clone is a single option. it erases all on the destination and copies bit-for-bit the source. You can also access the clone to recoup any single file as from a floppy of yore. If you use imaging as your protection and your HD holds the imaging SW and then goes bad, how are you going to recoup your data & OS ? The clone will save your neck. I ignore if it is possible to use a bootable CD to re-image from the destination medium, others here will let us know. A clone is copied back using a bootable medium. I have small USB HD dedicated to all my many computors, if your machine HD is of 1 TB but only 100 GBs is in use, that is fine, the cloning does not copy empty space so a 120 GBs destination would be acceptable, keep it in mind for further uses.
    The clone vs image discussion is rampant with personal feelings. I did try imaging but could not see the advantages over cloning, as I said above, the last image is the relevant one, why go to three or more of them ? You get a single effort with a clone, no need to go back to previous back ups.
    I use Hitachi, WD and other HDs, none have failed me. I do cloning at least weekly and I am happy as a pig in mire. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2014-05-02 at 10:31.

Thanks
    Thank you all very much! I ended up purchasing a WD My Book Essentials 3 TB drive for $129 at Office Max. That price was comparable to Amazon at the time. I am in the middle of reading the 127-page manual for WD's version of Acronis True Image. Is that program sufficient or should I use something different?

Thanks
    Pammy:

Be aware that USB external hard drives sometimes fail. Don't put irreplaceable files only on the USB external hard drive.

Jim

Thanks
    Thank you, mrjimphelps! I only plan to use the drive for imaging. All of my other files are stored on Google Drive and OneDrive.