Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Disabling R-Clk in desktop browsers is an additional DRM feature so to me that's preventing function instead of being incapable of that function.

Speaking of which, I tried collections in Music app, it showed me all my network computers right off, but no go for getting into any of them. So, I added the podcast location as a mapped drive; popped right up on the collections list...and...and..."This location cannot be included because it can't be indexed." Another long walk off a short pier for an app.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudoid View Post
    I have tried it with multiple news 'apps' and I guess the Ctrl+C/Ctrl+P capabilities have to be built-in to the app by the developer.
    NYTimes app allows Ctrl+C/Ctrl+P; whereas FlipBoard, NewsBento, USAToday do not allow highlighting of text and/or images.
    In the USAToday app, I held down the shift key and left-clicked and was able to select text. Then I used Ctrl+C and was able to paste in Wordpad.

Rich
    Last edited by rmonroe36; 2014-05-05 at 20:26.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Disabling R-Clk in desktop browsers is an additional DRM feature so to me that's preventing function instead of being incapable of that function.
    If you use Firefox, you can install the "RightToClick" add-on to do as you wish.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmonroe36 View Post
    In the USAToday app, I held down the shift key and left-clicked and was able to select text. Then I used Ctrl+C and was able to paste in Wordpad.
    That did not work for me, as you prescribed but I did find out that if I use the Alt key while scrolling (in MetroGUI); it slows down the scroll speed (of the cursor) for better accuracy! Woot!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr was just released, and Open Mandriva Phosphorus has not been released yet, but is scheduled to be released today.

And there is always Linux Mint.
    I just upgraded over the weekend to Trusty (Ubuntu 14.04). Smoothest transition I can ever recall for an OS upgrade. Their Assistant did everything except the massive download with hardly a hickup. (I have a slow DSL connection, so downloading 2.5GB of anything is kind of iffy at best.) Only the printer had to be deleted and rediscovered (the driver was fine), and one or two software apps got a bit munged and had to be removed and reinstalled. This Assistant process worked much better than those I've used for Windows 7 to Windows 8 previews, and to the Windows 8 final release. And Trusty works quite nicely, although support for my NVidia Hybrid Graphics still isn't what Mir might have provided, had it been ready for this LTS Release.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    To tie back this tangent (off-topic) conversation to the original intent of the post:
    The fact that WindowsOSs have always allowed much flexibility for the user to customize and tweak both the front and the back end of the Operating System, makes them very desirable for me (vis-a-vis Apple _and/or Linux) without doing these tasks using code or console/command modes.
    There are some sites that still disable right-click capabilities on their pages even in the desktop IE web-browser. But having the flexibility to install other browsers (such as Firefox) allow for work-arounds for such restrictions that prevent (forinstance) copy/paste.
    The latest updates (Windows8.1 and 8.1.1) are attempting to align the Metro GUI interface with the flexibility and capabilities similar to the Desktop, as time passes.
    This was the original reason that I had posted
    In my six months or so of using Ubuntu Linux, my tweaking has migrated from Command Line (Terminal) code to tweaking using GUI Apps (even for customizing the GRUB Preboot Screen), much like in Windows. Modern desktop Linux is very customizable without ever touching the Command Line or editing System or Configuration Files by hand. And as for respect for legacy hardware and legacy software -- don't get me started!
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2014-05-08 at 07:48.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    @BobPrimak,
    So,... What I am hearing you say is that we won't have the pleasure of reading your post' replies in this forum for much longer and/or as often.
    It sounds like you will be migrating on to [errrrrr...] 'snowy' pastures where penguins roam.
    Legacy topic not withstanding, of course!
    Bon Voyage!

Thanks
    @BobPrimak,
    So,... What I am hearing you say is that we won't have the pleasure of reading your post' replies in this forum for much longer and/or as often.
    It sounds like you will be migrating on to [errrrrr...] 'snowy' pastures where penguins roam.
    Legacy topic not withstanding, of course!
    Bon Voyage!
    Not so fast! I have Windows 7 in a dual-boot with Ubuntu 14.04.

Yes, I use Linux a lot more than I use Windows, but no I have not lost interest in Windows topics. In fact, I am reading everything I can find about Windows 9 development and the possible restoration of the real desktop, etc.

My goal is to have what for me is the best tool for each type of task I do. Some things go better with Win 7 (and hopefully Win 9 on the desktop). Tablets offer marvelous mobility, and there Android (a flavor of Linux if you scratch the surface) offers the most robust and best-populated App environment for what I want from a tablet. Streaming Video and On Demand would be best suited for tablet use (perhaps with one of those HDMI sticks to extend things to my HDTV) in my world. And Linux for the day to day workhorse applications like LibreOffice, email, web surfing, commenting in tech forums. Anything where I want to get booted, get in and get out quickly with minimum hassle from antivirus or updates. (Linux updates are fast and happen in the background almost all the time.)

The right tool for the right job. That's all I'm after. All three OSes -- Linux, Android and Windows -- should one day find their proper places in my personal computing ecosystem.

I got into Linux because I had such a hard time adjusting to the two-headed Hydra of Windows 8.0. But this does NOT mean I have given up on Windows altogether.

Sorry, but you folks will have to put up with my presence in The Lounge for awhile longer, it seems!
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2014-05-08 at 18:05.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    I don't understand - the desktop on Win 8 works perfectly well; I use all my old programs (and some new ones) without issue. All that's different is the loss of the awful win menu, replaced by the win 8 start screen, which I've fixed to give me what I want.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    I don't understand...
    Think of it this way:
    *Linux users are the alternative lifestyle and individualistic types (Subaru Forester and/or Volvo SUV)
    *Apple users like to be catered to and have someone else figure out geeky details (BMW and/or Prius)
    *Windows users are the meat-and-potato bunch but are becoming more fickle/finicky (Ford F150, Chevy Silverado but not both)
    No insult to any type!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't understand
    Those who can understand do understand,
    those who do not understand cannot understand
    Lao Tsu

the desktop on Win 8 works perfectly well; I use all my old programs (and some new ones) without issue.
    It may work perfectly well for you, but it has failed to run some old programs that other people need, and it is less useful without a Start Menu.

All that's different is the loss of the awful win menu
    The Windows XP and Windows 7 Start Menus are not awful, and are quite useful for those who understand how to use them.

replaced by the win 8 start screen, which I've fixed to give me what I want.
    The windows 8 Start Screen is only useful if you want to use Windows 8 phone and tablet apps, which a lot of people don't want to do.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    The windows 8 Start Screen is only useful if you want to use Windows 8 phone and tablet apps, .
    I was actually being a bit joky, but obviously failed, so I'm obviously a DeLorean/Ford Edsel

I don't like the start menu, you do. These are preferences to which we are entitled, not absolute statements of fact. What is a fact is that the start screen isn't just for phone and tablet apps. I have links to many of my desktop apps (and a few of those other apps as well) and I can easily find any I've not put on it. I like the start screen, you don't, those are our preferences, but please don't make statements that aren't true, like yours which I've quoted above.

This is the last comment I shall make in this thread.

Thanks
    ... so I'm obviously a DeLorean/Ford Edsel...
    In the past, I have owned every Mazda version that had a rotary (Wankel) engine, and have driven almost every version of Windows. Or vice-verse and probably in the future.
    ...This is the last comment I shall make in this thread.
    << Ditto

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am going to stay with 7 until the next release. It's more than fast enough, stable enough, and does what I need to do as well as anything can. I've traditionally been one of the first to get the new thing, but the touch interface turned me off, and I was and am very happy with Win7. So, this time, I am going to wait. (I did try the preview and Consumer Preview, just didn't like the lack of the "orb" and didn't see buying a new OS only to have to add something to it to make it work the way I like) Just my $.02 as always YMMV.
    Joela44

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Late response to post #37. WOW! You triggered some memory for me with your PCMCIA card remark! How I marveled at the utility of being able to expand my storage and peripherals with the fragile little cards. I really don't miss how difficult it used to be, and often still wonder at the questions I get asked so often about (what seem to me to be) the simplest things! I'm sure we all remember the old "where IS the AnyKey" so I can continue?" bit. Anyway, it brought me back to the days of DOS and the command line. It was like knowing a language the only few people understood!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joela44 View Post
    I am going to stay with 7 until the next release. It's more than fast enough, stable enough, and does what I need to do as well as anything can. I've traditionally been one of the first to get the new thing, but the touch interface turned me off, and I was and am very happy with Win7. So, this time, I am going to wait. (I did try the preview and Consumer Preview, just didn't like the lack of the "orb" and didn't see buying a new OS only to have to add something to it to make it work the way I like) Just my $.02 as always YMMV.
    Joela44
    Joe,

Please, don't take this the wrong way... not arguing or trying to change your mind, just a couple of casual comments.

Yes, & is a good OS. Win8 happens to be even better. Touch is completely optional & the OS works beautifully w/out it. The rumoured idea that the 'lack' of "the orb" is an issue... it is not... there is just a somewhat different approach to things w/ Win8; and in a few months some of that 'old style' stuff is going to exist. As for having or needing to add 3rd Party stuff to make Win8 'workable', that, also, is a false rumour... it works beautifully w/out doing that.

YEs, we IT Pros will always share a good laugh over, "Where is the Any Key?"

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast