Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Joe,

Please, don't take this the wrong way... not arguing or trying to change your mind, just a couple of casual comments.

Yes, & is a good OS. Win8 happens to be even better. Touch is completely optional & the OS works beautifully w/out it. The rumoured idea that the 'lack' of "the orb" is an issue... it is not... there is just a somewhat different approach to things w/ Win8; and in a few months some of that 'old style' stuff is going to exist. As for having or needing to add 3rd Party stuff to make Win8 'workable', that, also, is a false rumour... it works beautifully w/out doing that.

YEs, we IT Pros will always share a good laugh over, "Where is the Any Key?"

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 38645
    Please, don't take this the wrong way... not arguing or trying to change your mind
    I think you are.

Yes, 7 is a good OS. Win8 happens to be even better. Touch is completely optional & the OS works beautifully w/out it
    Stated as if it were a fact, when actually it is an opinion.

rumoured idea
    issue
    false rumour
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya

Thanks
    not arguing or trying to change your mind
    I think you are.

Meant what I said; was not lying.

------------------

Yes, 7 is a good OS. Win8 happens to be even better. Touch is completely optional & the OS works beautifully w/out it

Was not giving an opinion. 8 is superior to 7. And it does operate very nicely w/out Touch.
    W/ respect & in all fairness, consider saying the bold is NOT true is opinion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Rumour'

Wasn't quite sure what word to use. Reckoned there be a lot of grief if I had said 'myths being propogated'

Anyway, I'll leave it @ that. Not keen on being pulled into what feels borderline potentially confrontational.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Another advantage of Win 8 is that since it still has a significant gap to close in order to be as popular as Vista was at one time at approximately 19% market share, it seems it will be exceedingly easy to move on to what hopefully will be a much more well-rounded and user-targeted OS. Personal market share for Win 8 is hanging in there at 6.6%, a little more solidly now that it's running 8.1.1 but that update only illustrates how many problem areas still remain and impatience with the seeming piecemeal and compromise updates.

Thanks
    'dried_squid',

You asked in what order Win8 & Office365 were released.

Office365

Initial release
    June 28, 2011

Stable release
    2013 / February 27, 2013

Anyway, to answer your question, for all intents & proposes Office365 came to us a little after Windows 8

I have/use Office365. When I wanted to move from Office 2010 I debated whether to go to Office 2013 or Office 365... obviously, settled on 365.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-05-13 at 10:04.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudoid View Post
    Think of it this way:
    *Linux users are the alternative lifestyle and individualistic types (Subaru Forester and/or Volvo SUV)
    *Apple users like to be catered to and have someone else figure out geeky details (BMW and/or Prius)
    *Windows users are the meat-and-potato bunch but are becoming more fickle/finicky (Ford F150, Chevy Silverado but not both)
    No insult to any type!
    I drive a Prius and I do Linux. Am I somehow driving the wrong car?

As for the Start Menu vs. the Modern/Metro Start Screen -- the right tool for the right job. If you're using Tablet Apps, the Start Screen seems right. If you're using Desktop Programs, the old Start Menu seems to me to be much more useful. And if I really just want to get in, get my work done, and get out, Ubuntu Linux is my go-to environment. (I prefer Android for Tablet Apps, due to the more robust Google Play Store, but again, the right tool for the right job.)

Others may prefer different tools, but I think everyone has a favorite environment for a particular type of task. Now if only all those environments came in the same version of just one OS. Maybe with Windows 9?

BTW, one of our local computer isntructors who works with seniors pasted a label saying "ANY" on one of the Shift Keys on a student's computer!
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2014-05-19 at 14:09.
    -- Bob Primak --

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    none of those are big on my list
    well security would be if that were actually true

reliability

fewer bugs

ease of use

would make me happier

Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    These are the things I have seen claimed for it.

1.) Faster Boot

2.) Optimized for touch devices

3.) Better use of memory

4.) More Efficient use of Processor

5.) Improved Security

Anything else?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball View Post
    none of those are big on my list
    well security would be if that were actually true

reliability

fewer bugs

ease of use

would make me happier
    1.) Faster Boot
    I like a snappy start-up, but I would be more impressed if it were a fast start from a cold shutdown, rather than waking up from hibernation. You can do that with Windows 7.

2.) Optimized for touch devices
    I don't have any touch devices, and don't plan to get one unless I can install Linux on it.

3.) Better use of memory
    Better use of memory can never be anything but a good thing.

4.) More Efficient use of Processor
    A lot of software will run faster in bench marks, but it's on the order of 1% or 2%. Not very impressive.

5.) Improved Security
    Also a good thing. A lot of people, such as yourself are skeptical about whether it's actually true. I know that some of the original claims by Microsoft were of the "nobody has written malware for it yet" kind that are pretty lame, but I believe that there are other things that have been changed to make it more secure. Although, I don't know exactly what they are.

Thanks
    reliability

fewer bugs

ease of use

The strange, mysterious, flaw in being absolute is many folks find it does have the 3 traits (demands) quoted above.

Verrrrr-wy inn-terrr-es-ting...

Thanks
    reliability
    I've never had a reliability issue with Windows 7. It is difficult to make a claim for improvement on Zero Defects.

fewer bugs
    I've never had a bug issue with Windows 7. It is difficult to make a claim for improvement on Zero Defects.

ease of use
    After some effort and reconfiguration, I finally have Windows 8 almost as easy to use as Windows 7 was right out of the box.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    There was no suggestion that 7 did not/does not have these (3) things, it does. The point was that, indeed, Windows 8 has them.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I discovered why one of Corel's emphasized features for the new VideoStudio Pro is native 64-bit support; trying my first transcoding and burn to disc job (DL-DVD) on the 64-bit 8.1.1 system. As of this writing, the 24 hour elapsed time count is on its second trip and stands at 21 hundred and 37, and is just 82% complete (45+ hours for those who don't drift miltary time). It seems to be getting it's fair share of the processors (60% or so most of the time). The same type job on 32-bit XP systems is taking about 8-10 hours.

Another advantage of Win 8 with some software seems to be to teach great patience.

Maybe it's doing a super amazing job of encoding though and it'll be worth the wait.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2014-05-25 at 08:02.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567