Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What are the advantages of Windows 8?

These are the things I have seen claimed for it.

1.) Faster Boot

2.) Optimized for touch devices

3.) Better use of memory

4.) More Efficient use of Processor

5.) Improved Security

Anything else?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    1. It runs noticeably faster than Windows 7 for normal operations for me.
    2. It also gives you the longest support time for Microsoft OS Updates of all the existing releases.
    3. You get both desktop apps and mobile apps rather than just one class of apps.
    4. Windows 8.1.1 has enhancements for Mouse and keyboard operation. Future releases will continue this trend.
    5. Windows 8 is customizable to look and feel just like Windows 7 if that's your preference.

Jerry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

ruirib (2014-04-26)

Thanks
    All of the above can safely be taken for granted in Windows 8.1 despite the recent push on MS's part
    to follow market trends away from the desktop in W8.0.

I don't recommend Windows 8.0 anymore...so why get 8.0 when one has to painfully upgrade to 8.1.
    MS has effectively made Windows 8.0 a de facto dead end the moment 8.1 came out.
    One is better off waiting until MS culminates with their revised vision of the desktop in W8.1+, or even Windows 9.

Although the desktop may not be as popular in market speak as portable devices, but they will continue to
    become far more powerful than anything ever made previously and there will always be a market for a more
    powerful computer. The reality is that the average user will likely not have a need for it, but many others will.
    More than enough to influence change in MS's erroneous tablet centered direction.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-04-26 at 13:57.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1. It runs noticeably faster than Windows 7 for normal operations for me.
    According to the benchmarks I've seen, Windows is consistently a little faster, but only on the order of 1%. In my own experience, it is not noticeably faster. Can you give an example of a application that you have run on both Windows 7 and Windows 8, on the same hardware, where Windows 8 was noticeably faster?

2. It also gives you the longest support time for Microsoft OS Updates of all the existing releases.
    Windows 7 has until 2020.
    Windows 8.0 has two years.
    Windows 8.1 has until the next patch Tuesday.
    Windows 8.1.1 has a now indeterminate length of support, but probably not beyond about a month after {8.1.2|8.2} (or whatever it is called) is released in August.

3. You get both desktop apps and mobile apps rather than just one class of apps.
    Meh.

4. Windows 8.1.1 has enhancements for Mouse and keyboard operation. Future releases will continue this trend.
    But not yet up to the level of Windows 7.

5. Windows 8 is customizable to look and feel just like Windows 7 if that's your preference.
    Windows 7 does not have to be customized to have the look and feel of windows 7.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Prescott For This Useful Post:

allanhm (2014-05-01),CathyinTX (2014-05-01),David Wolf (2014-05-01),hkb (2014-05-01),PamS (2014-05-17),skyrider (2014-05-01),steve1916 (2014-05-02)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I like File Explorer.
    I like [Ctrl][N] to open a new File Explorer window. BTW, it was there in Vista, but I never knew.
    I like tiling two File Explorer windows. Also in Vista, but I never knew.

I think Wordpad is better, but I haven't had the time for discovery. I also think Microsoft is setting up for more UTF8 behind the scenes. Not sure how, nor where I should begin to learn about character encoding stuff. But I guess with more "*aaS", ie. Software as a Service, Infrastructure as a Service, Etcetera as a Service, it's something I should get a handle on ... eventually.

Eg. I need to know what it means for me when I 'Save As' UTF8 or Unicode in Notepad or Wordpad.

I don't live in Microsoft Office, so I guess it matters to me. Less hassle as I move text between different apps.
    Last edited by dried_squid; 2014-04-26 at 13:43. Reason: typos

Thanks
    Windows 8.1 has until the next patch Tuesday
    This is incorrect,
    anything beyond 8.1 is an update more equivalent to a service pack, not an upgrade.
    (At least not until W9 come out, but we have yet to see the upgrade options here)
    There is no such thing as an 8.1.1 version, it is merely an update to 8.1. (not a major OS upgrade)
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    As I run a much-modified Windows experience, my dog isn't really in this hunt. That being said, I run Windows 7 and Windows 8 with the same configuration, so I can compare the two in my own back yard.

Windows 8 boots faster. However, once booted, it would take benchmarking to tell any difference between the two. File Explorer has a toolbar that I don't use, and other than that I can't tell any worthwhile difference from Explorer. As for stability, I haven't had a non-hardware stability issue since Windows 98. Windows 2000 Professional/XP was just as stable for me as Windows 7/8 (I skipped Vista entirely). My only incentive for Windows 8 was the price - I spent a lot more on Windows 7.

The only App I use on my PC is Solitaire, so there's nothing on that side of Windows 8 for me. There may be advantages with new hardware, but my newest PC hardware was purchased in February 2010. With StartIsBack+ on Windows 8, I don't really notice which OS I'm booted into. I imported my personal settings from Windows 7.

I'm dual booting Windows 7/8, and the Windows 7 side has a longer Microsoft lifespan than Windows 8. It does point toward the intention to transition to a subscription model.

I recently bought a Windows Phone 8; job related incentives (not monetary, just "gettin' it done") made that a fairly realistic decision. I haven't owned a smartphone until now. The touch GUI makes perfect sense for my phone, and I've acclimated to it quickly and quite well, but it is still totally wasted on a full-sized PC with a 23" monitor sitting at arm's length.

I have many years invested in making Windows run the way I prefer it to run, and I'm very accustomed and at home with the way I do things. I haven't used "Search" a dozen times in the last decade; I know where my stuff is, because I put it where I want it to be in the first place. My filing system is as much in my head as it is in my PC; I know where to find anything, and I have files going back into the late '90's.

My two sons and my daughter have laptops running Windows 7, and all are quite content with what they have and what it does. None have had any interest in Windows 8. My younger son is considering getting a new desktop PC, but he's looking toward a Windows 7 machine; he hasn't really made up his mind yet, but he doesn't see a need for Windows 8. He likes my desktop (when I let him get on it) but he prefers the Windows 7 side. He's 20.

So, is there a compelling need (at least within my family) to upgrade to Windows 8/8.1/8.1.1? In a word, "No." I have 8.1.1 on my newer laptop, but that was more for the experience than any need; I can answer 8.1.1 specific questions here on this forum by waking my laptop and giving it a go. I also dual boot Windows 7 on it.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

CathyinTX (2014-05-01),Prescott (2014-04-26),skyrider (2014-05-01),steve1916 (2014-05-02)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    This is incorrect,
    anything beyond 8.1 is an update more equivalent to a service pack, not an upgrade.
    (At least not until W9 come out, but we have yet to see the upgrade options here)
    There is no such thing as an 8.1.1 version, it is merely an update to 8.1. (not a major OS upgrade)
    True enough, but 8.1 has a very limited update lifespan. There will be no updates/patches for 8.1 after about 90 days (MS relented on the 30 days after much howling). Without 8.1 Update installed, 8.1 has been voted off the island. Most folks (including me) are referring to 8.1 Update as 8.1.1; quite unofficial, but realistic, nonetheless.

"Woody Leonhard on April 23, 2014 in Top Story

When Windows 8.1 Update came down the chute last week, Microsoft tossed in a surprise: if you want Windows 8.1 security patches in the future, you have to install Win8.1 Update first."

A "Service Pack" has traditionally had a two year lifespan. Hence MS is not calling "Windows 8.1 Update" a "Service Pack", even though, for all intents and purposes, that's what it is. 8.1 Update is the new baseline for Windows 8.1, period.

However, if one has preserved that pre-8.1 upgrade Windows 8 drive image, reverting to Windows 8 will allow continued security updates/patches for the life of the Windows 8 OS.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2014-04-26 at 14:53.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was really excited about Windows 8, and looking forward to it. During the Developers preview I learned how to edit the registry to re-enable the Start Menu, and during the Consumer Beta, I learned how to link the program list to a folder and pin it to the task bar, and use it as a Start Menu, but with each release, they made it harder to do, and finally I quit.

I was starting to get some hope for Windows 9, but if they go to subscription that will be it for me. I'm already looking at Linux, and getting familiar with it, so that one day, I will be ready to make the leap.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    There will be no updates/patches for 8.1 after about 90 days (MS relented on the 30 days after much howling).
    The 90-day extension from May 13th to August 12th for Windows 8.1 without the Update (KB2919355) only applies to enterprises using Windows Server Update Services etc.

There is no extension beyond May 13th for those of us using Windows Update:

For our consumer customers, the Windows 8.1 Update is a required update to keep Windows 8.1 devices current. It will need to be installed to receive new updates from Windows Update starting on May 13th. The vast majority of these customers already have Automatic Update turned on, so they don’t need to be concerned since the update will simply install in the background prior to May 13th. For customers managing updates on their devices manually who haven’t installed the Windows 8.1 Update prior to May 13th, moving forward they will only see the option to install the Windows 8.1 Update in Windows Update. No new updates will be visible to them until they install the Windows 8.1 Update. For customers on metered networks, they will get the same experience until they install the Windows 8.1 Update.
    Windows 8.1 Update: WSUS Availability, Extended Deployment Timing

Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    However, if one has preserved that pre-8.1 upgrade Windows 8 drive image, reverting to Windows 8 will allow continued security updates/patches for the life of the Windows 8 OS.
    Only for 21 months, not the full 9 years:

... customers on Windows 8 have ... until January 12, 2016, to move to Windows 8.1 in order to remain supported.

Windows 8.1 ... will reach end of Mainstream Support on January 9, 2018, and end of Extended Support on January 10, 2023.

Windows 8.1 Support Lifecycle Policy FAQ

Bruce

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    According to the benchmarks I've seen, Windows is consistently a little faster, but only on the order of 1%. In my own experience, it is not noticeably faster. Can you give an example of a application that you have run on both Windows 7 and Windows 8, on the same hardware, where Windows 8 was noticeably faster?
    The speed difference is more noticeable on slower hardware. All applications seem quicker to start and close on my laptop that originally came with Windows 7. It just feel snappier. If you have a modern PC with a fast processor, I suspect you won't see much difference.

You get both desktop apps and mobile apps rather than just one class of apps.
    Meh

That's a personal preference. The point is you have the option at no extra cost. I use a couple mobile apps myself but in general stick to the desktop.

Windows 8.1.1 has enhancements for Mouse and keyboard operation. Future releases will continue this trend.
    But not yet up to the level of Windows 7.
    That's your opinion. In mine. with the added capability of pinning mobile apps to the desktop task bar along with the addition of adding the task bar to mobile apps, it is just as capable as Windows 7. Can you cite one Mouse or keyboard deficiency when compared to Windows 7?

All that said, I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade a Windows 7 box to Windows 8.1.1 but if I were buying a new computer, it would definitely be a Windows 8 box.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd switch it around just a bit and fall much more into Woody Leonhard's camp of W8 easily rivaling the worst output from Redmond regarding OSes in history for one overwhelming disadvantage; that being the great instability of the user interface over time now. Having been rejected on both fronts, traditional mouse and keyboard and touch especially, Microsoft has had no choice but to change the interface significantly and has to keep on with the same plan until...well until something hopefully sticks.

Now you'll find many folks who don't mind that constant change because they fall more into the enthusiast category of users but they don't represent the vast majority of work a day grinders and folks who just want it to work dependably and be boringly repetitive day after day after day as a PLATFORM for all their other computing interests. This doesn't hold quite so true when it comes to smart phones and tablets but that's another story.

So for an enthusiast, it's a difference they'll hardly even notice and probably think it just comes with the territory but if one looks back over time, over service pack updates, etc., this is one very glaring and apparent difference that has come under the guise of Microsoft stating ahead of time that they plan on more frequent upgrades, but I don't think even Microsoft envisioned the revisionism they would be applying in an attempt just to keep the OS from floundering completely.

That platform UI instability is as clear a disadvantage at the moment for Win 8 as is it's clear advantage if touch is required. If apps clearly stood out as worthy replacements for real programs or something along those lines then that along with touch might very well make up for such a lapse but not head to head. I'd choose the stable UI every time and that would go quadruple for business.

Lounger
    Thanks
    For me, the most important new feature in Win 8.x is File History, the best backup process for the average user to protect personal data.

Thanks
    You know we can talk technical details for hours. We can dispute feature-sets for days. Argue & debate, enthusiasm & praise, negativity & cynicism. OR it can be discussed on a very personal, daily use level...

I am an IT Pro and I have lived through several Windows OSs, together w/ their Updates, Upgrades and various versions. I have beta-tested the last 3 offerings. I have built them, sold them, repaired them, taught them. And struggled for years trying to help people & heighten their understanding. All the while witnessing a very definite love/hate scenario as people express themselves.

So I'll speak freely...

I started before XP but, let's start there. I, still, remember how solid it was going from 98 to XP, huge improvement, vast change, much more sophisticated. Then Vista... I had no problem w/ it & no real gripe about it. Many said it was terrible whilst some of us knew the 3rd Party vendors & manufacturers were more the cause of issues than anything. Enter 7, a fine piece of work. I learned it & liked it. Throughout all of this I had few problems of my own, in my own machines. But, through writing in several Tech Forums & looking after my clients, I sure discovered & addressed situations others encountered. Sometimes it's challenging responding to difficulties one has not had 1st hand. And, now, we have Windows 8. The theory is that each OS is better than the ones prior. Theories are one thing and then there is practical experience. It's from the latter that I speak.

Windows 8, in its present form and my personal thoughts. W/out listing them here, YES, there are compelling reasons for Win8 both technical & esoteric, both organic & cosmetic. It is a good OS both in terms of Consumer End Users and Business applications. There is no question it is fast, stable, very capable and packed w/ ability and cool features. But, here is what is important to me & maybe to many others...

It's obvious I think well of 8. From the time I was Beat Testing it forward I came to understand & appreciate it. Sure that was helped by knowing about it and things inside it but, more importantly was the impact of , actually, using it. And I can cast my mind back to when I was dual-booting 7 & 8. Aside from the fact that I had quit using the start menu long before 8 was born, I did not enjoy the times I used 7 after using 8. Win8 spoiled me. Start didn't really phase me one way or the other; I have always had a way to function on Desktop, accessing everything from THAT screen. Either way, I have found Win8 fun, easy, enjoyable, impressive and, for me @ least, problem free. Absolutely, I recommend it and the recent Updates make it more appealing to people than ever.

No I don't bash stuff. It is what it is and I just have to work w/ what that is. No, I don't seem to easily climb on the negativity bandwagon. No I don't get all philosophical and dissect or analyse things extensively. Simply put I take 'it', use it, teach it, sell it, fix it and in the case of Windows 8, like it a lot.. for me and for others. Yes, it's the best OS MS has produced. Whilst it can be said perception is subjective, an IT Pro has to be objective and fair. 2 years ago I said much of the views on Windows 8 were a matter of attitude, I, still, firmly believe that. Taking a very open-minded approach I have been left w/ a very positive feeling towards the OS. It's good, fun, easy and, for me (& many others) downright enjoyable.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

greytech (2014-05-01),ken010107 (2014-05-01),ruosChalet (2014-05-24)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, I can agree that 8.1 with Update is the most usable version so far, though I can't speak for the touch side of things. Perhaps we have different meaning to the work objective though since to me that would require also being hip-deep into the start screen, touch and the various alternate little interfaces like the charms bar and switcher bar.

I agree with Woody that the sooner MS can backpedal some more and get the start apps opening from the CC start menu into non-full screen windows on the desktop, the better for non-touch users with large screens and even before the recent Update I have been viewing the Charms bar and even the switcher bar as vestigial components but perhaps they are more useful coming from the touch side of things but that begs the question; how much demand is there for a full-fledged desktop on a touch tablet device or maybe with a desktop start tile and start button on the desktop it doesn't even factor in there?

I'm curious of course because as a singular desktop user I'd MUCH rather have a pin-able hidden toolbar on either edge because one of them hides my 37 network locations quite nicely yet provides instant access.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast