Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think it will be a long time before anything replaces the mouse and keyboard. Touch is different and has advantages, by is no means "better." In fact, it is so far a lot worse for manipulating small elements such as the controls of a music DAW for example, than a mouse. Once very high quality touch interfaces come down in price, and we can afford large touch interfaces for such workstations, that's when things will start popping with touch in the professional world. That's still at least a year or two out.

I haven't figured out how to copy a link to a news article app. Anybody? This is driving me nuts!

Woody has been saying that MS might offer three distinct Windows 9 versions, including a desktop keyboard/mouse version. If so, then Windows 8 will not be helpful in preparing desktop jockeys for Windows 9. It will be helpful for Windows tablet users of course.
    Last edited by Gonga; 2014-05-04 at 07:28.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 8 is also more maintenance free. It includes an automatic maintenance feature.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonga View Post
    I think it will be a long time before anything replaces the mouse and keyboard. Touch is different and has advantages, by is no means "better." In fact, it is so far a lot worse for manipulating small elements such as the controls of a music DAW for example, than a mouse. Once very high quality touch interfaces come down in price, and we can afford large touch interfaces for such workstations, that's when things will start popping with touch in the professional world. That's still at least a year or two out.

I haven't figured out how to copy a link to a news article app. Anybody? This is driving me nuts!

... replace mouse? I agree, I do left-hand keyboard and right-hand mouse often. I do not want to give that up. I suspect such a practice is low priority for touch.

... copy a link to a new article? Good question. I was unable to figure it out either. Maybe feedback to Microsoft will help.

How do I give feedback about the Bing News app?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...8/news-app-faq
    Your feedback is important to us, and we are always looking for ways to improve the app. Here's how you can contact us:
    Swipe in from the right edge of the screen or enter Windows logo key+C on the keyboard.
    Tap or click Settings and select About.
    Tap or click Feedback.
    Enter your feedback in the form and tap or click Submit.

For me, doing "News" at my laptop, the "News" app seems to offer my usage patterns no additional utility. If the "News" app depends on RSS, I will remain with Thunderbird RSS, or Firefox bookmarks, instead.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the idea about feedback. it wasn't long ago I couldn't find any way to leave feedback about Windows 8. Now (perhaps with the new CEO?), I'm glad to see MS is looking for input from the masses.

I like the news apps, but they need to have more utility - to not be able to link to an article seems oddly backward in this day and age.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonga View Post
    Thanks for the idea about feedback. it wasn't long ago I couldn't find any way to leave feedback about Windows 8. Now (perhaps with the new CEO?), I'm glad to see MS is looking for input from the masses.

Aside from Windows' share of the desktop market, remember when Microsoft speaks of it's 'partners', that's application developers and hardware vendors.

Like print newspapers, over-the-air radio, or rabbit-ear TV, 'partners' and end-users are not always the same. It may be that the omission of the functionality you desire was on-purpose.

In case your experience with above-mentioned 'Feedback' is not satisfactory, try surfing around msdn.microsoft.com too. Maybe you can get your voice heard there also.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dried_squid View Post
    ...For things like the News, aside from selection, I was not able to highlight and copy text. For me, that's a negative....
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I'm not sure what "aside from selection" means. I just copied and pasted text from a News app article.Bruce
    I normally get my news the old Windows method of going to websites. But the FlipBoard app is a fairly nice news aggregate for top level news scanning. Yet as calamari asked Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V is not readily achievable for text (or for other content) when I am at FlipBoard, as the intent of such aggregates are not usually as full-featured as reading news via web html news feeds. I feel your pain. But just for giggles, i used an article that was in FlipBoard for curiosity' sake that the content was not copyable and went back to the old trusted web/html method, upon googling the same article subject (plus name of website) and opened it in my trusted Firefox and schzaaam, I was able to copy the text the old and trusted method.
    Similarly, there are equivalent challenges even between FireFox and IE. For example, in IE, you can readily right click on a web site and command to 'send' (shortcut of html) page to desktop, with 3 clicks; where as with FireFox this action will take you many more clicks to achieve. Such minor nuances and differences are to be expected.
    The newer versions of Microsoft Office applications, which utilize the ribbon bar, have also made it rather difficult to perform some of the (vital) commands for power users that were just a pull down menu away.
    I would just build a bridge and get over them, If I was you calamari .

Thanks
    Just thought I'd toss in this screenshot & mention about Share form the News APP. The text highlight is showing Copy/Paste feasibility.

Screenshot (13).JPG

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

dried_squid (2014-05-05)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    ...The text highlight is showing Copy/Paste feasibility....
    Must we beg for the method to do so? Would you liked to earn a few "Thanks"??????

Thanks
    It is identical to any Copy/Paste scenario. Highlight a section of text (See photo). Rt Clk on the highlighted portion gives Copy. Now go to wherever & Paste. Just a normal C/P, nothing different or special to it. sorry, very little to explain.

Here's the bit Copy/Pasted from the article in the News APP. From the APP to here.

ABUJA, NIGERIA—Nigeria’s President Goodluck Jonathan met through the night with security, school and state officials and issued a new directive that “everything must be done” to free the 276 girls kidnapped by Islamic extremists, one of his advisers said Sunday.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

pseudoid (2014-05-05)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you actually try to paste, wherever? Just wondering because for some reason Windows media player, though it will still play an audio file, it will not show up on the screen and will not play video so I gave the Music app a try and I can't even drag and drop an audio file from a standard folder. Seems I can only open a file with the context menu (Open with...) directly on the file. I say "can't even" because I'm using the app on a second screen and there's more about how non-cooperative at least this app is...lets just say its working worse than the Windows media player at the moment!

Never mind, I just tried it and at least it worked with Wordpad. Still, I don't think there's anything that can be taken for granted with apps when it comes to associated desktop tasks that we don't even consider for the most part anymore.

For instance, is there any way to use One Note app without switching over and using a Microsoft account? I get funneled right to switching to a Microsoft account every time I try to use it.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2014-05-05 at 09:37.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    It is identical to any Copy/Paste scenario. Highlight a section of text (See photo). Rt Clk on the highlighted portion gives Copy. Now go to wherever & Paste. Just a normal C/P, nothing different or special to it.
    I have tried it with multiple news 'apps' and I guess the Ctrl+C/Ctrl+P capabilities have to be built-in to the app by the developer.
    NYTimes app allows Ctrl+C/Ctrl+P; whereas FlipBoard, NewsBento, USAToday do not allow highlighting of text and/or images.
    But thank you for your explanation.
    My post replies (difficulties with Copy/Paste) in #65 and #67 are in reference to the Win8 MetroGUI "Apps" and not in reference to desktop applications/utilities, including web browsers (e.g. IE and FireFox).
    Last edited by pseudoid; 2014-05-05 at 11:24. Reason: Clarification

Thanks
    Cut and paste worked fine for me albeit in notepad. So did Windows Media player, both with audio and video. Tried the Music app, listening to Cap'n Beefheart right now (got from clicking on Collection). But drag'n'drop doesn't seem to work, but as you can run stuff from collection....

Haven't got Onenote but as it syncs across all your devices surely it would need you to login. But at least it's free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Cut and paste worked fine for me albeit in notepad. So did Windows Media player, both with audio and video. Tried the Music app, listening to Cap'n Beefheart right now (got from clicking on Collection). But drag'n'drop doesn't seem to work, but as you can run stuff from collection....

Haven't got Onenote but as it syncs across all your devices surely it would need you to login. But at least it's free!
    I wouldn't mind logging in (in fact I tried that several times) so much...it's the seeming requirement that the account must be converted to a Microsoft account first if it is only a local account. First the local account password is prompted then it switches over to Microsoft account credentials prompt to switch to that account.

Can the Music app load a "collection" from a network location? I mostly listen to podcasts downloaded to a different computer, which are constantly renewed in a staggered order over the course of the week depending on the production/release schedule of each podcast. Some are also multiple per day releases. So, do collections update automatically on a selected folder hierarchy...for a network share? I'm away from the W8 machine right now so I'll have to look into that later but knowing how short apps can be on features, my hopes are not high.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudoid View Post
    I have tried it with multiple news 'apps' and I guess the Ctrl+C/Ctrl+P capabilities have to be built-in to the app by the developer.
    NYTimes app allows Ctrl+C/Ctrl+P; whereas FlipBoard, NewsBento, USAToday do not allow highlighting of text and/or images.
    I think that's spot on; it's like they are all stand alone apps built from the ground up and can't rely on DLLs or .net or anything like that, whether or not that's true. So apps are like a box of chocolates [left out in the sun] because you never know what you'll get exactly.

Thanks
    To tie back this tangent (off-topic) conversation to the original intent of the post:
    The fact that WindowsOSs have always allowed much flexibility for the user to customize and tweak both the front and the back end of the Operating System, makes them very desirable for me (vis-a-vis Apple _and/or Linux) without doing these tasks using code or console/command modes.
    There are some sites that still disable right-click capabilities on their pages even in the desktop IE web-browser. But having the flexibility to install other browsers (such as Firefox) allow for work-arounds for such restrictions that prevent (forinstance) copy/paste.
    The latest updates (Windows8.1 and 8.1.1) are attempting to align the Metro GUI interface with the flexibility and capabilities similar to the Desktop, as time passes.
    This was the original reason that I had posted
    Well, color me a Neanderthal! What I love the most about every new Windows OS is the fact that there is respect for both LEGACY hardware and LEGACY software!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast