Thread: Bsod

Thanks

Bsod

BSOD

Well as threatened in another post I am going to recount my near 'digital death experience' (BSOD)

I have a venerable XP install that auto-logsin to a superuser account with Tweakui that was working well, I had installed ZA firewall a few weeks ago and seemed to be doing fine along AVG AV. I decided to do some over due maintenance. I started to run VBA32 antirootkit (a Gizmo rec ) something changed my mind ( a help menu in Cyrillic). Ok no harm done.

I have a dual boot w/ W7 home, I booted into that to make a Macrium PE 4 recovery disk. Went well no problem.

I then tried to reboot to XP, I got the point where I could see my wallpaper and got a BSOD.
    I rebooted again w/ the same results. I noticed a curious thing, my time zone had been reset to Pacific and I am in NY. I booted to 7 and examined the minidump w/ both blueScreenView and Windows SDK debugger. Research on the error codes said basically "hard to tell, maybe driver".

Now I am probably scrambling the order of things a bit here but one time it booted in regular mode and I did an image. Next time I rebooted no go. I tried safe mode (does Win 7 dual booting add an extra keypress here?? ) Ok I'll give SFC a try. No go, RPC service not running and not starting. I went offline and disabled most things with MSconfig (should not this be in the path? I had to the file to run it). Again no go. I figured I would try removing the biggest things that run on start up. I was thinking Nvidia drivers but found that a lot of AVG stuff seems to run as drivers soo I uninstalled and AVG and ZA just for kicks, yep that did it.

BTW another curious thing I noticed: AVG had started a update the second day into this.

I am now running Comodo suite and am blissfully happy, maybe in ignorance but they say 'ignorance is bliss'.

Now I am not asking for any help as things seem to be working ( well if anyone has any insight into the time zone reset I am listening).

I would like to say this would have been a more enjoyable learning experience if my latest image was not 3 weeks old.

KUDOS to all who promote imaging. The one you really need is the one you didn't do.

PS
    I did get SFC to start after everything started to look good, but it wanted an XP cd (bad files in dllcache?). I have always been a bit skeptical of SFC and reading up on it I am questioning how good a situation it would be to put SP3 files on a computer that has had numerous updates over the years after SP3 was installed. What mechanism does SFC use to determine what files might be 'bad' and would windows update re-offer a patch that had newer files?? I refrained from digging out my XPSP3 disk.

PPS
    yes I did do another image

Thanks
    Yes, imaging is a good thing. Now it's time to think and go beyond it.

If an image is the only thing standing between you and data oblivion, you don't have a credible backup regimen.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks

I know I am poor on regimen

I am less worried about data oblivion than "OS/it is setup just the way I want with 11 years of installed programs" oblivion.

I am toying w/ the idea of going w/ W7 when/if I build a new box, I am just not ready to migrate now. Now here is a question in that regard (yes I know a squeaky fresh install is always recommended): Can W7 32 bit on a 2 core processor be migrated to a newer 4,6,8 core?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya no problem though you might run into difficulties if you also have to switch out the mobo to accommodate a processor with more cores.

Thanks

Thanks Fun
    I will likely just be building a whole new box.