Thread: Homegroups

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Homegroups

I just tried to connect the Homegroup on my Windows 8.0 virtual machine to the Windows 7 Homegroup on the computer that the virtual machine is hosted on.

The Windows 8.0 virtual machine can see my Windows 7 computer in Network, and can see the shared folders (and the files in the folders) on the Windows 7 hard drive.

But the Windows 8.0 Homegroup cannot see the Windows 7 Homegroup (and vice versa). I've changed the password on the Windows 8.0 Homegroup to be the same as the Windows 7 Homegroup, hoping that would help, but it didn't. They still can't see each other.

Since I have access to the files that I want through the Network, it doesn't really matter, but I'd like to find out how to to it anyway.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    my physical computer which is running Windows 7 has an IP of 192.168.100.101
    my virtual computer which is running Windows 8.0 has an IP of 192.168.30.132

Could the fact that they are not in the same sub-net be why the Homegroups cannot see each other?

They can see each other through the Networks, and each can ping the other.
    Last edited by Prescott; 2014-04-27 at 05:35. Reason: 0 to 9

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried running the Homegroup troubleshooter?

Joe