New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Indexing in Win 8 extremely slow

Indexing in Windows 8.1 Update indexed up to 11,394 items and then the index became extremely slow. I believe the problem has been with me since Windows 8 and I have been methodically updating in the hopes the problem would resolve itself.

I have tried everything I can find without luck. Some of the solutions suggested and tried include running scanpst.exe; removing the .pst from the index location which proves the problem is with the index service and not Outlook 2010; reducing the included locations to index only My Documents; rebuilding the index; confirming that Windows Search is running as a service; reinstalling Office 2010;

Unlike previous versions of Windows, Windows Search is not shown in the list of Windows Features "Turn Windows Features Off and On:. I don't know if this was intentionally done by Microsoft or whether this is a problem.

After giving the instruction to reindex, the index service works quickly as it should from 0 to 11,394 items and then stopped. The indexing then became very, very slow. With 100K+ files and around 30K email, without a search function I am effectively dead in the water.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Mel Orecklin, P.Eng, MBA, CAFM

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 69 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 7912 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 434214 MB, Free - 38553 MB; D: Total - 25599 MB, Free - 21566 MB;
    Motherboard: LENOVO, Strawberry 5D
    Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried disabling McAfee? Have a look at this link:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...9-54f2ebcafd78

Rich