New Lounger
    Thanks

Question about Vista system reserved (boot) partition

Greetings:
    I may be overthinking this, but here goes: I have an older Vista laptop (home premium 64 bit) which is now used as an alternate system. I've recently been switching over from ShadowProtect to the free version of Macrium Reflect, based on recommendations here in the Lounge. ShadowProtect will image boot and system partitions separately from this computer. Reflect does not seem to recognize any small boot partition (my terminology, not MS) and only offers to image the C: system partition and/or D: recovery partition. The disk management console says that C: is both boot and system partition, and does not show any small partition. I'm pretty sure I'm not hallucinating because my external USB drive has an image of a boot partition from this computer, made by ShadowProtect. Does this make sense to anyone? Going forward, am I safe to go with Reflect's image of the C: partition? I have kept ShadowProtect's image of the alleged boot partition.
    I would appreciate any input from the wizards of the Lounge.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Tom,

I'm not quite sure exactly what you asking, could you please post a picture of your MR backup page like this one.
    mrpartitions.JPG
    You'll notice that it offers to backup all partitions on both the Main Drive (SSD) and the Data Drive (HDD). You just have to select the entire drive (red circles). HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2014-04-27 at 12:55.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi RG and thanks for the reply.

These are digital camera shots as I can't make screen shots when booted from the boot CD's. (I always use boot CD's to make images.) The first shows the ShadowProtect image screen, the second shows the Reflect free edition image screen. As you can see, ShadowProtect offers to make an image of drive X: (red outline) and Reflect does not. To recap, this is Vista x64.

shadow2.jpg

reflect.jpg

The disk management console does not show a boot drive X: so I'm a little puzzled here.

Thanks
    Tom,

It looks like you are using a very old version of MR. I'd suggest you download the latest version and create new boot media and see if that solves the problem.
    The current version is: 5.2 6526. HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2014-04-27 at 20:39.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

toextra (2014-04-28)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    RG:

I updated Reflect to the latest version, created a new WinPE boot disk, and....same exact result.
    Guess I'll keep using ShadowProtect to image the old box.
    Thank you for your help and your patience!

Stay safe if the wild weather back there is near you!

Tom

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Both your screenshots are consistent and show the same thing, Tom.

Your hard drive is 250 decimal GB--aka 238,000 binary MB or 232 binary GB. It has only two partitions: one large one for the OS, and a smaller 12 GB Recovery partition (undoubtedly, containing the factory restore image). As configured by your system's manufacturer, they did not use a small "System Reserved" partition at the front.

As designated by ShadowProtect, drive F: is probably an empty card reader. (The drive letter is irrelevant. The boot media can label it anything it wants. But my guess is ShadowProtect is looking inside the system's registry and trying to use the same letters Windows assigns to it, just to avoid confusing the user.)

Drive X: is not a real drive, it is a virtual drive created in ram by your boot media (CD or flash drive) when it boots. In essence, it is a temporary environment from which the recovery tools run, so that the recovery environment does not have to actually run from either of the partitions you might want to be working on.

Since it's not real, there is no reason to backup the X: drive. It is created anew in ram each time you boot from your removable media, so there is no way for it to be corrupted--or even restored if you did happen to back it up.

Macrium is simply filtering out unnecessary distractions and showing you only the hard drives. There's no reason to use Macrium (or ShadowProtect) to backup other types of drives. As RG pointed out, you'll see three selection boxes associated with "Disk 1". The checkbox on the far left indicates you want to backup all partitions on Disk 1, or you can deselect that and choose to backup just partition 1 or partition 2.

Edit: BTW, it is important to note ShadowProtect's "Boot" partition is *not* Vista's Boot partition. "Boot" just means the partition of the currently running environment. When you boot ShadowProtect or Macrium, each has its own virtual Boot partition. When you boot Vista from the hard drive, the hard drive's "Active" partition will become Vista's Boot partition.
    Last edited by dg1261; 2014-04-28 at 02:18.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dg1261 For This Useful Post:

toextra (2014-04-28)

Thanks
    DG,

Good points! I was wondering about the Unknown Type on Disk X: but figured it was something Shadow Protect was doing but didn't focus on the boot media. Thanks for clearing that up.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    DG:

Thanx for the explanation. It makes sense given the configuration of the computer (the "F" drive shown is most likely the SD card reader).

Tom

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Toextra, hello.

Do give this URL a good read. http://www.bing.com/search?q=reserve...lt&FORM=IE10TR

I would not touch it, myself. Jean.