Lounger
    Thanks

Blue screen crash reboot

Got a Blue Screen reboot on my Dell Laptop with Vista Home Premium and Loaded with Office 10.

When the system came back up all my personal settings had been replace. The shortcuts I had on my desk top were gone - files still exist, the desktop shortcuts were gone. The shortcuts I had in the Quicklaunch file and tool bar were wiped out. The operating Outlook installation was gone, however Outlook still exists.

What happened? Over the years I have had numerous Blue Screen crashes and reboots, but I have never had the system wiped out like occurred this time.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Had you installed any utility software during the session that triggered the BSOD?

Could you carefully read and follow the instructions here: http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod...8-7-vista.html Sections 1 > 5 and attach the resulting zip file to a reply back here and we'll try to figure out the cause.

Not sure if it will be possible to work out how the shortcuts were lost though, that's a very strange occurrence.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Had you installed any utility software during the session that triggered the BSOD?

Could you carefully read and follow the instructions here: http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod...8-7-vista.html Sections 1 > 5 and attach the resulting zip file to a reply back here and we'll try to figure out the cause.

Not sure if it will be possible to work out how the shortcuts were lost though, that's a very strange occurrence.
    Nothing new had been installed during the session when the crash occurred.

A subsequent user initiated reboot restored all the settings to 'normal'.

Will work on getting the info requested from BSOD.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    A subsequent user initiated reboot restored all the settings to 'normal'.
    In that case, it reads like Windows had to load a temporary profile, rather than your normal profile, for whatever reason. Windows usually flags this up as an option//warning (iirc) at logon.