Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

My Windows 8.1/ 8.1.1 Dilemma

I am totally confused! I have been following posts regarding the new 8.1.1 change and read where those here have commented no or few problems with the download and its operation. Yet reading Susan Bradley's comments here, KB2919355 issues being tracked, advises to wait to install. What to do? My other dilemma is do you just let Microsoft download ALL security updates and quit worrying which to install or not? It seems like it's getting harder to just enjoy computing anymore. It seems to me the more information provided, the more confused I'm getting. Your comments would be most appreciated.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    If you're currently running windows 8.1 you will be forced to update to 8.1.1 come next month or you'll not receive any further updates. MS is/has cancelled support for 8.1 just like it did for XP, pretty much at the same time. That being said, most of us running 8.1 updated to 8.1.1 with no issues, although some have experienced some bumps while trying to install the updates. I've not seen the SB article of the update being tracked. None the less, if you want to continue to use 8.1, you will have to update to 8.1.1.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bassfisher6522 For This Useful Post:

squire (2014-04-17)

Administrator
    Thanks
    There are quite a few people who install the monthly Microsoft updates immediately or within a few days of release. I've not had a problem doing this for a decade.

Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

squire (2014-04-17)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both for your reply.

Thanks
    If you are using 8.1 right now, updating to 8.1.1 is a no brainer. It's a pretty smooth process.
    Upgrading from W8 to 8.1 is a bit more involved, obviously with a 3GB download and a lengthy setup process,
    there is the chance for issues.

Issues with WU are still in the minority.
    Many, not all, but many issues with WU can be attributed to "sub-clinical" problems with a user's computer software environment
    that are not readily noticeable. In which case creating an image before hand won't do much good, unless a solution can be found.

Sometimes a clean install is needed.
    If anybody has any delusions that the "clean install" is "passé" these days, you'd be wrong.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-04-17 at 14:04.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

squire (2014-04-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I gave up trying to moderate WIndows updates about a year ago, I just let them install automatically. I also check periodically for additional (non-automatic) updates, those I do check over because they can include crapware like toolbars. So far I have not been bitten!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeyTG1024 For This Useful Post:

squire (2014-04-19)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My desktop computer shipped with Vista when Vista was just released, so it's an old box, but I have consecutively upgraded to Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and now 8.1.1, all without a hitch. Each upgrade has been an improvement. I think Windows 8.1 is a terrific OS with powerful features that set it above Windows 7 -- File Explorer and File History, just to name two of many. And contrary to what a lot of people say, it does have a start menu; it's just in a different format (tiles), but everything is there. I don't know what all the complaining has been about.

Regarding applying security patches, I don't go the automatic route. When they are released each month, I first apply those that Susan Bradley gives the green light. Then a couple of weeks later I apply all the rest, except for any that have been reported as problematic. It's not all that time-consuming, and I've never had a problem with applying patches. Right now I am completely up to date on patches and updates.

Fafner

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fafner For This Useful Post:

squire (2014-04-19)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    I'm with Joe, I usually just install everything and hardly have had any issues. I don't do it immediately, though, I wait a few days for the next scheduled imaging day, so that I can take a full image before applying updates. With that and the fact that I have System Restore activated, I know I have two different possibilities to recover in case of problems. In the couple circumstances where updates did create problems, using System Restore was enough to get everything working again. In such cases, it has been easy to identify the problem updates and avoid their installation, until the issues with the updates are solved by Microsoft.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

squire (2014-04-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's amazing reading Techspot revealed that many people are unable to Update to Win 8.1.1. On one of my computers it installed without a hitch, BUT, the other took 3 whole days and multiple fixes before I found the right combination that finally allowed the update.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to wildfire20066 For This Useful Post:

squire (2014-04-19)

Thanks
    Everything problem free. 8.1.1 is great. All installs have been quick & painless.

Running Win8.1.1
    WD
    WF
    No added 3rd Party menu or securities
    Occasional, for-the-heck-of-it Malwarebytes (always clean)
    WU on AUTO... if I notice or think of it, I won't wait
    CCleaner, almost daily
    Never touch registry w/ anything
    Internet Options, Delete, Delete, almost daily
    Machine left running except for occasional maintenance or completion reboots.
    Backup to ExtHDD using File History

Always, germ-free & hale. Ironic, maybe, considering how simplistic.

Oh, and I don't visit Start or All Applications screens except, occasionally, to type-begin a Search for something using one of them. Not for anything else.

Certainly, nothing unique. My Win8 clients have enjoyment not, problems. And I know of & read of countless people having similar experience. Positives just never seem to speak w/ as loud a voice or some such cliché, lol.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-04-19 at 00:06.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

squire (2014-04-19)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I upgraded to Win 8.1.1, but the System screen just says win8.1 Pro.
    Is this right?

Thanks
    I have updated to 8.1.1, and the system screen says what you see. Perhaps because it's not 8.1.1 bit rather 8.1 update, it's just that most people refer to 8.1.1. If you start a Metro app and it appears on the task bar on the desktop , then you have 8.1.1. There are other indications as well.

Thanks
    What you downloaded in the Windows Store on Windows 8 was the OS upgrade to Windows 8.1.
    What you downloaded within Windows update is the update to 8.1 that we erroneously refer to 8.1.1, just to make it seem less confusing.

One is an OS upgrade (completely optional), but the other is an update (needed for future WU support).
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

A1ex (2014-04-20)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
    I think I upgraded to Win 8.1.1, but the System screen just says win8.1 Pro.
    Is this right?
    Alex,

Yes, it will, still, show that, even after the Upgrade has been installed. We Upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1 via the Store. 8.1.1 is just a wee Update to 8.1 If you have Power & Search icons @ the Top-Right Corner of the Start screen then, you have 8.1.1 installed.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

A1ex (2014-04-20),squire (2014-04-19)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just updated to 8.1.1 without a hitch. Working just fine. Thanks guys!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast