New Lounger
    Thanks

How to run MS Access databases in Linux?

I have been looking for a way to run MS Access in Linux, so far without success.
    LibreOffice will run other Office apps (Word, Excel, PP) quite well, but Libre Base does not seem to work w/ Access - I have tried Ubuntu & Mint Linux distros and these both choke on importation of an MS DB. Also, Base does not seem to support anything except basic tables (no forms, queries, reports?). WINE does not seem to work in this case either; the documentation is quite confusing. Anybody have an idea(s) here? I have been using Access 2003 w/ both Win XP & 7.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The bottom line is that Access won't run under Linux, even with Wine installed. Access first has to be installed, and it has some low-level drivers that cause problems in addition to other issues with updates and security. Access does run just fine under the recent Mac OSs, so that is one option. What is the objection to running Access under Windows?
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,

Thanks for your reply to my post. I didn't know that Access will run under Mac, but that's OK - I'm a hardcore PC guy. I like several of the Linux distros and have been able to get them to do almost anything I want - except run Access. I have been looking at this just in case Windows eventually goes away (witness MS's recent netherland tilt). But I am basically content to run several systems w/ various OS's, until maybe something changes.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I've put an Access database on a Linux server, but Access itself was run from a Windows workstation. I think that's the best you can do.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.