Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Install Office 365 Home Premium over Office 2010

I want to install the new Office 365 Home Premium on a Windows 7 laptop that already has Office 2010 installed. I have few concerns about Word, Excel, and so on, but I'm a little nervous about Outlook. My wife uses Outlook for her email, and she has lots of stuff in there. My questions:

1. Do I need to uninstall Office 2010 before I install the new stuff?

2. What should I do to make sure all my wife's current email files and settings survive?

3. I will install 365 with my own Microsoft account. The current setup on the laptop has two profiles, and my wife has her own email address. Will Outlook 365 allow my wife to manage her email in the manner she's accustomed to, or will the application insist on working only with my email, i.e., with my "Microsoft account"?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    1. You do not need to uninstall Office 2010. You can simply upgrade 2010 and use 2013 as the only version. That would be my option. My experience was with the preview version and I ran both versions side to side, could even run Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013 over the same set of files (though one at a time). Right now, I cannot remember the installation options that led to one configuration or the other, so decide how you want it and try to choose the best option for what you want.

2. In my experience, Office 365 Preview picked everything from my current install, even existing email accounts. Was the best Office upgrade experience I had. I am thinking the release version will be similar, but can't be sure.

3. The Microsoft account is just important to activate the Office copy, it has nothing to do with the email accounts managed by Outlook. I can no longer remember if you are asked at the beginning of the installation process or just after starting one of the Office 2013 apps, but the difference is clear. If you upgrade, you won't even have to bother with specifying email accounts to be handled by Outlook.

Before upgrading, image your system, just as a precautionary measure. Backing up before making big changes to your system is always recommended.

HTH

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Caesar3 (2013-02-20)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Great! That's just what I needed to hear. Thank you!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a year later, and I have a related question. I'm a lawyer using office 2010 heavily. I have resisted Office 2013 because I frankly saw no compelling reason to upgrade. I like to own my software generally, and do not want to depend on having internet access to use my software.

But, I also increasingly use an iPad for reviewing and some document mark-up, like many of us. Now that Word is available for iPad, it seems that to have full functionality with iPad Word, I need an Office 365 subscription. I'm willing to pay up for that, but I don't want go to a rental version of my main Office program and still don't know of a compelling reason to go from Office 2010 to Office 2013, unless I will have to in order to use the various office apps on my iPad and Office on my laptop.

Can you advise me here? Can I stay with Office 2010 on my laptop (Win 7 pro, 64bit) and have iPad versions of the Office apps with Office 365 without causing installation, compatibility, functionality or other unanticipated problems? Thanks in advance!

Rob

Administrator
    Thanks
    You do not have to have internet access to use Office 2013. Periodically, Office 365 will phone home to validate your subscription. There are numerous documents available to answer many of your questions. See Office Frequently Asked Questions for more information. See the "Activating Office 365 Pro Plus" section at Overview of licensing and activation in Office 365 ProPlus for details about Office 365 "phoning home".

You are not forced to install Office 365 Pro Plus on your laptop. As long as you Office 365 subscription is activated you should be able to use the fill iPad versions. See What’s new in Office 2013 for an overview of new features plus links about new feature in the individual programs. If you use new features the files (i.e. documents, spreadsheets, presentations) may not look correct when opened in Office 2010. If you just use Office 2010 features you will be fine.

Joe