New Lounger
    Thanks

Where is MSCONFIG?

I've upgraded my 98se to 2000 and no longer have MsConfig to use. I have some programs in start up that I'd like to stop and miss having a utility like MsConfig. After the upgrade, the items loading up at start up aren't showing in the startup folder under Settings/Task Bar & Start Up Menu, so I'm not sure how to get rid of them.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Where is MSCONFIG?

I believe that the programs are installed via the StartMenu under All Users.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Pop over to my web site and get file #1d. This is a version of MSConfig that works for Windows 2000.

Click My Sig

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I cannot use a Win XP program without seeing a copy of the Win XP license that would allow the distribution of the program for use on other than Win XP.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Howard,
    What are you trying to say?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you still have your Windows 98SE CDROM, the MSCONFIG utility will work under Windows 2000 for what you are wanting it to do. You'll need to extract it from the CAB file. When you run it, it will pop up some error messages but will eventually appear, showing only the Startup tab, and one other tab (which I have since forgotten).

An alternate is to download <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.xteq.com>X-Setup</A>, which has controls for all Windows versions and will allow you to disable them. X-Setup is a very handy tool that combines many features of TweakUI, MSCONFIG, and some other options that neither provide. I highly recommend you give it a whirl.

So that you know, the startup items that you cannot find are located in the registry under the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionRun
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionRun
    HKEY_USERS.DEFAULTSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionRun

There are also RunOnce and Run- keys. RunOnce is for items that will run on the next boot and are deleted from the registry after their execution, and the Run- is for items that are disabled.
    -Mark

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

If the offerred program was distributed as part of Win XP, then it cannot be further distributed unless allowed by the win XP license.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I believe the version of MSCONFIG that MerC has is a THIRD PARTY version. MS did NOT make a version for Windows 2K. I have used the third party version and it works.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 2000 is the next version of Windows NT, not Windows 98. For programs running at startup, check the Registry keys
    HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run
    and
    HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run
    There are also several Startup folders, from which those under All Users and [login user] are executed.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Howard
    Of course you are entirely correct. However, I hope your comment has no bearing on the MSCONFIG I have made available. First it is called MSCONFIG 2000, and I downloaded it from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.insideproject.com/guides/showguide.cfm?guideid=31>here</A> on August 20th or thereabouts, long before XP was on the market, and from recommendation from the Lounge. If the author (Robby) simply stole it from XP RC1 or whatever, and you can demonstrate this to me, I should like to know :

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi emab
    If you don't fancy MSCONFIG 2000, Start Up Control Panel might meet you needs. Until I put it up, you can get it <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.insideproject.com/reviews/showreview.cfm?reviewid=35>here </A>

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I raised the issue because, coincidentally, in my search for hardware diagnostics programs this week, I saw an offering of MSCONFIG from Win XP at a URL. I do not recall the URL.

Such things have a habit of propagating quickly on the INternet.

Any 3rd party version should not be using the name MSConfig as it is NOT really MSConfig. And Merc is correctly not calling it MSConfig.

But we should all be wary of downloads that use the same program names as a MSFT product component.

New Lounger
    Thanks

MSCONFIG 2000 was exactly what I needed, but I appreciate the registry entries as well. I'm very impressed with this lounge. Thanks to everyone for their help.