New Lounger
    Thanks

5.25" Floppy Drive - What do I need? What do they work on?

OK, I have spent a few hours now trying to find information on the old 5 1/4" floppy disks. My ultimate goal is just to copy some word processing files from my old 5 1/4" floppy disks to a more modern platform.

I have searched numerous places looking for information - I can find multiple internal old floppy disk drives around, a few external drives too.
    I have read that there is no such thing as a 5 1/4" floppy (internal or external) that works via USB. Nor have I found any such offering.

What I have not found was any information as to what operating systems these might work on. Only DOS? Early windows?
    Mostly disclaimers - buy the disk drive and take your chances.

What I do have is an older computer with windows 98 on it. I bought it used many years ago. A internal cd player was added to it. An internal Colorado tape back up was added to it and it has an internal 3.5" floppy. I have not taken the computer apart to look at the insides as yet.

So, any advice - information - leads - suggestions?

I have found only one place offering the service of transferring the data - the cost was $4.95 per disk. This is just cost prohibitive for me.
    I have about 100 disks.

The disks are not really worth anything - I would just like to get the data off them.
    Thanks.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    eBay or Craig's list might be your best bet in finding an actual 5 1/4" floppy drive.
    Your Windows 98 machine should have the floppy connection on the motherboard.

Rescuing 5.25″ Floppy Disks from Oblivion
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-04-28 at 11:56.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.