Thread: Firefox ads

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Firefox ads

I have been using Firefox for several years and was very happy with it.

The last couple of weeks I have noticed a Firefox ad window popping up every time I open the browser.
    This is very annoying and need to find out how to make it go away.

Is Mozilla so hard up for money they need to pound us with junk-ware or did I make a mistake in my settings?

Hope they realize how bad this is for their PR.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Richard Spring

Thanks
    The ad doesn't sound like anything related to Mozilla, I'd guess at some kind of infection/adware hooked into it.

Try resetting the browser: Help > Troubleshooting information > Reset Firefox.

Thanks
    You might also want to run Malwarebytes Free (Malwarebytes.org) and AdwCleaner (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/)

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did run CCleaner, MalwareBytes, and Spybot Search & Destroy which seem to have fixed the problem.

What had me fooled was the popup window was titled: "Mozilla - Firefox advertisement". Just because it said it was from them, does not make it so.

One additional question - After running Spybot Search & Destroy, I tried to delete the items found, but was told I could not because I was not an "administrator".
    My account is setup as "administrator", but still will not work on removing the Spybot items.

Any suggestions?
    Richard Spring

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    See what AdwCleaner makes of them as Jerry has suggested.

You could also go Start - type spybot then right click on it to run as an admininstrator to see if that will do it, but I wouldn't enable the hidden admin account as you don't know what you are dealing with.

You could also try running either program in Safe Mode.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-04-28 at 18:41.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I would try using an older version of Spybot Search & Destroy, the newest ones are bloated and don't seem to work as well

I am guessing that you have some browser add-on or extension installed, you can try to remove that manually in firefox.

Mod Edit: Spybot 1.62 is available directly from the author's site under Other downloads here: http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/
    Last edited by satrow; 2014-04-30 at 17:02.

Thanks
    Also possible is to run a portable antimalware app like Windows Defender Offline (WDO). For a charge of $40.00 Hitman Pro (Cloud multi-vendor antimalware) can remove a lot of stuff, and it uses multiple antimalware engines. Just be careful not to remove anything which is rated by probability ratings instead of flagged outright. Same with MBAM run from Safe Mode or the Hidden Administrator Account or "Run As Admin" from the Desktop Icon Right-Click Menu.

In my Ubuntu Linux, the newest Firefox is faster than before and loads better, and it is still completely ad-free.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2014-05-08 at 09:06.
    -- Bob Primak --

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried all of the above including AdwCleaner and they went away --- for a while.
    Now they are back.

Guess it is back to the drawing board once again.
    Richard Spring

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    From Jerry's Post #3 use the bleepingcomputer.com link to download Junkware Removal Tool from lower down the page to see how that fares.

Had you been to any particular site to download anything immediately prior to the pop ups returning - you could try your restore points back to when they weren't popping up.

Should it not be a Toolbar/Extension that you've picked up, you could install Adblock Plus to see if that improves things.