New Lounger
    Thanks

Section Breaks (Wail! Gnash Teeth!) (97 SR-2)

Question without notice. I have just had reason to insert a new section in an extant document. The new section was landscape A4 with the rest of the doc being portrait A4. The chain of events was:
    1. Insert two section breaks using "Insert|Break|Section|New Page
    2. De-link the headers and footers from previous
    3. Make the new section landscape using "File|Page Setup|Paper Size" and selecting the "Landscape" button
    4. Voila - recommence life

At some stage during the proceedings however the Section Break (Next Page) transmogrified into a Section Break (Odd Page). After some fanangaling (resulting in the probable need for a new voice box and some major dental work) I managed to get a Section Break (Next Page) to stick (thus far). The question is, therefore, what did I do wrong in the first place? I assume that the "problem" lies with the Portrait/Landscape switch but how can I prevent the issue arising next time?

regards
    Grant Cartledge

Thanks

Re: Section Breaks (Wail! Gnash Teeth!) (97 SR-2)

You may want to take a look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Formatting/WorkWithSections.htm> Working With Sections</A> on the MVP web site.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks

Charles:
    Thanks for the link - I had read that before and managed to dredge enough of it from my (increasingly flaky) long term memory to get me through (but only after a couple of false starts hence the neccesity for remedial dental work/voice box decoke). However it didn't answer the first question - why did the initial section break change from a next-pager to an odd-pager? Any ideas?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hey geecee. I've seen that happen when a previous section (i.e., the one you were in when the section break was created) has the "Different odd and even" options selected on the Layout tab of the Page Setup dialog. I've never figured out exactly WHY it happens, but I know that it does...maybe checking those other options will help you avoid future dental work...*g*

Jen

New Lounger
    Thanks

Jen:
    Thanks for the suggestion. I had forgotten to check the page setup before I ventured forth on this particular journey into the world of constant excitement and surprises that is MS Word. However in checking just now I fond that the section has nothing esoteric at all - no odd/even or different first page. I shall check in future though just to be sure.

My suspicion in this case is that Word was trying to be "helpful". The switch to landscape occured on an even page and may have triggered some latent "user may be considering double-sided and reader may not want first page of landscape table on obverse" subroutine.

Alternatively it may have been inextricably linked with the phase of the moon, my biorythms or the instantaneous MS stock price. I have long realised that prolonged exposure to the MS Office suite promotes the early requirement for dentures and possible premature entry into the state of senile dementia. One sometimes wonders if MS are intending to diversify into Nursing Homes to cater for the expected glut of drooling, semi-comatose ex-Word users - it could be the next cash cow.

regards
    Grant Cartledge

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This gave me a giggle - and a pause for thought - I wonder whether these nursing homes will allow us to go back to DOS 6 and WordPerfect 5.1?