Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OneDrive

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OneDrive

I hope I post in the correct category. My issue concerns OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive). To explain the configuration: I have Desktop PC for work at home etc., I also have a Laptop which is on my home network. Both PCs have Windows 8.1 Update installed, so they are on the same level. They also hold both the same Documents, Music, Pictures, and videos as well as some other data. I also use OneDrive on both of the PCs and had them syncing. What happens under this configuration is that I find duplicate files on both PCs of, especially in the folder "Music", and sometimes in "Pictures". I delete the duplicate files and the next day they are back again and then I have not only a copy but more copies of the same file(s). I cannot explain this behavior. I have paused syncing for now to see what happens now. This is not the only issue. The next one is when I add new files, they are not reflected in the cloud at all. This is very annoying.

My personal guess is that I should always pause syncing on my Laptop, because when I create or store new files, it happens most of the time on the Desktop, and then I update my Laptop when I work with it and do it visa versus . I have the same files on my Laptop so they always available when I travel or make visits, but this is only here said for info.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi MKR, I have the OneDrive app on my 2 pc's. During install, I changed the default location to folders on D:drive. This prevents losing anything if I have to restore my pc's. I also choose the files I want access to. Right click the OD icon on the taskbar & select 'Settings'

RR.jpg
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Roderunner, and sorry I did not reply earlier. The box you show is not in Windows 8.1 Update. I do not have a partition and so with no D: drive.
    What I have done is to pause sync on the laptop. Since then, no duplicates have appeared again. On Both PCs, I deleted the duplicates under OneDrive folder where I could find them. I have to wait and see what happens.

However, a new thing occurred of which I was not aware of. When I change , add or delete find in my normal Document, Picture etc. folders, sync will not touch them and update the equivalent folders in OneDrive. That does not make sense to me at all. Who wants to manually and constantly update the files in OneDrive. It seems to me that sync has only something to do with updating the OneDrive folders with the cloud, and even there I am not sure whether deletions of files in One Drive will be deleted in the cloud. It is all a bit confusing to me and I would appreciate a a clarification of the whole thing. I say this, because I cannot find a clear and straight answer on MS's website (they always fail to do this).

Thanks
    Hi MKR,
    do you see the 'OneDrive' link I've highlighted. If yes, open it & post an image of it. Make an Image and Post it.pdf

RR.jpg

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner,
    it seems you are on XP when I look at the pictures. I am on W8.1 Update and it does not have the box as shown in the previous post. However, I used the snipping tool to show how the OneDrive looks in File Explorer. There is not more that I can do

OneDrive.JPG.

Thanks
    Hi MKR, I'm on Win7 Home Prem.
    I wanted to see where your OD folder was.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought so. My OD is on drive c: under Users\Username. However, I did some thinking on the "cloud". Can you confirm this: When one works with those four folders/files under OD shouldn't the "normal" folders un der Users be empty? So when a file or files are added or changed the sync process would update those in the cloud. I am not sure what happens when a file or files get deleted. Another case is renaming: this will add the renamed file to the cloud but also keep the old file or files in the cloud as well. You see the whole concept is not clear to me.

Thanks
    I don't have OneDrive, but I am guessing that the folder structure under OneDrive is configured much like libraries in Windows 7. In other words, he should be able to right click on each folder/library under OneDrive, and then specify which actual folders are included for that type of file.

For instance, for Music, you might include C:\MyMusic (or whatever it is called).

And I'll bet if you don't want Music to synchronize, you can delete whatever folder is listed under Music, so that it doesn't synchronize.

If I'm right, this configuration will need to be done on each computer.

Thanks
    Hi MKR,
    as I never used the default location during installation, I can't advise. This is how mine looks & works.

RR.jpg
    Click image to enlarge it.
    Last edited by Roderunner; 2014-05-02 at 19:42.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yours is Windows 7 as you said. Mine is Windows 8, and looks very different. That seems to be the only difference. What you see on my picture are the folders that I intended to have in the cloud with their subfolders of course. What do you think of the concept I described earlier?

Thanks
    Hi MKR,
    If you have the OD app installed on both your computers, using the same account, all you files will be identical on both + in the cloud.
    Any folder / file you add or change on one pc, will be synced with the other pc + the cloud.
    Anything you delete will go to the Recycle Bin on both computers + the RB in the cloud.
    I suggest making a shortcut to OD on your desktop for ease of access.

Thanks
    MKR,
    In reading this post, I became confused as to how that could happen.
    Here is why.

As Roderunner states, what you change on one computer changes on all of the other computers running OneDrive under the same user name. In my case, that would be my Windows 7 laptop with the OneDrive, and the OneDrive desktop installed, my Windows 8.1/RT with both the Metro OneDrive, as well as the built in desktop OneDrive, and my Windows 8.1 Phone. When I create a new document and title it the same as one that is already on there, I will get a pop up that asks whether I want to replace, or replace and keep, or keep both. I don't think that there is a default for that but it might be something to check. I know that if you are copying a whole lot of files that you only have to set it once to do what you want.

In all fairness though you are not seeing things as on a couple of rare occasions I have seen the same photo appear twice, but that has been rare and I chalked it up to a PICNIC error, which most know in here that I am capable of.....LOL

I might also add, that I have a secondary OneDrive account and that that is synced with the primary account albeit manually.
    Last edited by t8ntlikly; 2014-05-05 at 10:22.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Thanks for your posts trying to help me understand OneDrive. To be honest, I have not. At this point, the situation is this:

1) I paused syncing on my laptop permanently. Reason: the infamous duplicates that appear on the laptop as well as the desktop. Duplicates appeared in droves like this: filename-1.wmv and/or filename-name of PC.wmv. Since I paused it does not happen any more.

2)
    a) When I add a file like document.docx using Office 2010 on my desktop, and saving the file in a subfolder of c:\users\username\documents\abc it will not sync with OneDrive. I have to copy the file to c:\OneDrive\Documents\abc. only then OneDrive will sync it with the same folder in the cloud. As far as the first part is concerned, that does not make any sense to me. The second part, syncing with the cloud does. That is adding a file.

b) With changing an existing file it is doing the same as with adding.

c) With deleting a file it is getting worse. I delete the file in c:\users\username\documents\abc, and it is gone but not so in c:\OneDrive\Documents\abc. That has to be done manually and the sync process will NOT delete the file in the cloud.

I suspect that I completely misunderstand the whole concept of OneDrive resp. cloud computing. I a few words I will try to express what I think. Whenever I add, change or delete a file I should do it in the cloud. When either action is complete the sync process will update the folders on the desktop, so to say downward. I may be wrong here and I would appreciate and thankful for any definition of cloud computing. One thing I understand is that I can share files with others out of my cloud giving the appropriate permission(s).

Thanks
    MKR,
    I think I may be onto something here.

1: Please provide step by step how you are saving a document.
    2: Please provide step by step how you are deleting a document.

I'm asking this because what you indicate you are doing on both steps in not in sync with what I am doing on my 8.1 tablet, or on my Win7 laptop either.

Also why are you using still Office 2010? If its none of my business, I apologize.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Silver Lounger.

Thank you for asking. To answer your question is simple:

1) Open Office Word 2010, write my document, save it in c:\user\username\Documents\abc (where abc is the subfolder). That is it, and I think everyone does it so. No other action is necessary to have the document on the PC.

2) Deleting is easy: in File Explorer go to c:\user\username\Documents\abc and delete (it can also be done going to c:\Libraries\Documents\abc).

3) Changing a file: as 1 and save them.

I use Office 2010 because I replaced Office XP a year ago. Just got a good price for O 2010.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast