Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OneDrive

Thanks
    Hi MKR,

RR.JPG
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    Thanks,
    I save my documents to OneDrive, but in different folders, therefore I chose to leave the default save location alone, (c:\users\username\documents) (or if I'm in no hurry I use a Save As) and then manually move the document to the OneDrive folder that I choose. Yea I know, Old School, but it works for me because that way I can just open up Windows Explorer and D/D the document into another drive as well. Regardless, it appears that you changed the default save location? While that is ok, if you want to save the document directly to OneDrive, try changing the save location to: c:\users\username\OneDrive\MyDocuments\abc, and see what that does. Remember though that everything will go there.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just did a change to an existing file in c:\Users\Username\Documents\abc. No sync with c:\OneDrive\Documents\abc whatsoever. I am beginning to doubt the whole concept of cloud computing, UNLESS it means this: make the changes in the cloud and hope for sync downwards to the desktop, OR do not use the desktop but only the cloud.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MKR View Post
    Just did a change to an existing file in c:\Users\Username\Documents\abc. No sync with c:\OneDrive\Documents\abc whatsoever. I am beginning to doubt the whole concept of cloud computing, UNLESS it means this: make the changes in the cloud and hope for sync downwards to the desktop, OR do not use the desktop but only the cloud.
    use as shown in my previous post.... LOL

c:\users\username\OneDrive\MyDocuments\abc
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry I made a mistake in my post. What c:\OneDrive\Documents\abc should be c:\Users\Username\OneDrive\Documents\abc (please note: when I right click on the said folder and chose Properties it still says c:\Users\Username\SkyDrive\Documents). The reason why I made that mistake is because of how OneDrive is displayed in File Explorer, look at the picture from my earlier post. I simply assumed a path as I showed in my post. So, a big apology, I was a bit stupid.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I made some assumptions here on the OneDrive concept of Microsoft in order to understand how it works. My research on the net has not shown one website that would give me an understanding in view of the issue(s) I described here. Please help.

Thanks
    Hi MKR,
    have you tried:-

RR.jpg

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. This is something I did overlook and did not try yet, and I will work through it. It is interesting in W8.1 that you go to "Help and Support" but only if you have the classic Start button or go to Search and type in Help and Support. Here you enter SKYDRIVE and not OneDrive. The latter entry shows 0 results while SkyDrive shows all results, and the results then show OneDrive and in the text. With W 8 Update, MS apparently forgot something.

Thanks
    Hmmm, just tried that and got 3 results for skydrive and 8 for onedrive

Thanks
    Hi MKR,
    Go to OneDrive.com and get the latest version.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, I'd like to give an update what I've done. First of all, I deleted all folders under OneDrive on my laptop to avoid competing updates. I can go to OneDrive on the net where I find all folders and files anyway and they are updated from the desktop. This achieved the elimination of these duplicates. The sync process is paused on the laptop. So far so good.

Something funny happened in "Help and Support" as opposed to what I wrote in a previous post. This time OneDrive produced 8 results and SkyDrive 0. Maybe there was an update of which I was not aware. However, I worked through it but the help there is pretty light, if not to say partially useless as far as my questions are concerned. These questions remain unanswered. To repeat them:

1) What happens when I add a file in c:\users\username\Documents (or any other folder like pictures etc.). There is no sync with OneDrive which means, one has to it manually by copying the file to c:\users\username\OneDrive\Documents. The alternative is not using c:\users\username\Documents.

2) The same should be true to changing, deleting, or renaming a file.

It is clear to me that the cloud is a place to share files with other individuals or groups whom I give permission(s).

Thanks
    See post #16

Thanks
    My solution is as follows:

I used mklink to create symbolic links to do this.

e.g.
    mklink /J C:\Users\user\Dropbox\public\test "C:\Users\user\Pictures\directorywithsubdirect orys "

Just change dropbox to skydrive (or whatever) and user to appropriate name. Also the pictures directory to whatever is appropriate. That way you can choose which folders to put in the cloud without having them in the skydrive/dropbox etc. folders or duplicating them. See the help for mklink for other options.

Not ideal, but it works.

Thanks
    Sorry, but have been away for a couple. At this point Im out of ideas. I think you might want to try the Microsoft Forums.

John
    Thanks John

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First of all I would like to thank everyone whom posted to help. I appreciate it.

Now, I took a new approach in using YouTube to get some more information. In fact, I got more information than MS's website provides. I found that the cloud works "downwards" rather than "upwards". As I already suggested, adding, changing, renaming, and deleting files has to happen in the OneDrive cloud, and then these updates are synced with the device, one uses, PC, Laptop, Smartphone, Tablet. So, consequently doing these actions for instance on a PC, it will have no effect on OneDrive, unless the affected file is moved to the OneDrive respective folder(s)/subfolder(s). As an example I copied a folder to OneDrive on my PC. With sync it was uploaded, and then I deleted it in the cloud. The folder then was also removed from OneDrive on the PC.

I will certainly research this cloud computing further to find out more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12