New Lounger
    Thanks

Trying to access windows7 workgroup from windows 2000 laptop

I can do this, it weems, but I show some servers in the Workgroup thst were physicall removed or renamed. I can't find any way to remove reference to this servers and the associated icon that shows up on my Windows 2000 screen.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Do these computers show up on their own or are they shortcuts? Which screen do they show up on - can you post a screen shot?
    (To post a screen shot load Irfanview - Free - and use it's capture, then save it as a PNG and attach ot to your post.)

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The servers that show up automatically are first, the actual valid servers or members od that eorkgroup, but also errored, removed, or renamed servers which are no longer suppose to be listed as part of that workgroup, as they are now invalid or never were anything more than possibly a typo error.

As an example, I renamed my Windows 2000 laptop from Don-gm5661e to Don--w2k4, which was an error as I got two hyphens in there, so I renamed Don--w2k4 to Don-w2ka, and now when I view the network I have all three appearing on it, which is wrong, because two of them don't exist anymore.

I can find no reference on the internet concerning this problem, or how to resolve it, which should be a simple step of ridding the two entries in some database somewhere.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It sounds like your master browser is corrupt. You can use "browmon" and "browstat" to check and change master browser.
    Note: this is not a task for the faint hearted, but it is safe.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188305
    http://windowsitpro.com/networking/k...ervice-humming

cheers, Paul
    Last edited by Paul T; 2015-02-27 at 02:38.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Paul. I searched the internet for references to Browmon.exe and Browstat.exe, and found they are part of the Windows 2000 Support Tools package. I have these under c;\program files\support\, but only found Browstat.exe. Running Browstat from the Start/Run/cmd line with no parameters, I got a list of options. When I tried the options that involved the word list, I was dhown that I needed to add a domain name. I'm not in a domain, so I tried using the workgroup name or this pc's name in its place. Whatever happened, I checked my Computers Near Me screen, and the invalid servers are now gone. Just the ones currently online show up now.

Oh yes, I was able to finally run down a download place for the Windows 2000 SP4 Support Toools, and opened the containing folder and got them installed. But they are available on the install CD as well, or so I read.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I hope you downloaded them from the MS site.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl....aspx?id=18614

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I hope you downloaded them from the MS site.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl....aspx?id=18614

cheers, Paul
    I meant to, but every effort to track down a link steared me to one site or another that advertised support services. I appreciate the link you provided, and redownloaded the file/

By the way, I'm Don

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I always stay away from "support services", you never know what you are going to get - especially as it's free here.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh, these aren't necessarily for free. In fact, MS Support comes up quite frequently, and they aren't free at all.

Don