2 Star Lounger
    Boston suburb (Acton), Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks

Should I upgrade to Excel 2002? (2000, 2002)

Clearly I don't want to upgrade to Office XP... or Word2002... I don't want to turn in my "Woody Fan" button. But I want to try FrontPage 2002. And then I read about graphics in headers in Excel 2002 (I LOVED the tips and site J-Walk.com). So that got me thinking.

I assume I can install just specific component(s) if I want, that they will work just as well under Windows 2000 as they would under Windows XP.

But is Excel 2002 a noteworthy improvement, asside from the improved header capability? Or is it worse? I apologize to Woody if I have missed this pronouncement in the newsletters.

------------------------

I realize this must have been asked & answered, but I didn't find it under search for "2002" or "xl" with words like "better", "worse", etc. And I apologize for asking such a simple question - I should be asking something stimulating, like "how do I get the 3rd character to flash in all cells if they have an aqua background where the background is conditional..." [I'd probably have four responses within the day!]

Thanks, all you true gurus.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Should I upgrade to Excel 2002? (2000, 2002)

I can't give you any personal information on the functionality of Office XP since I refuse to install it as long as it contains the Registration/Activation Wizard. I do not consider any software that includes that abomination to be an upgrade. It is a downgrade back to the bad old days of copy protection.
    Legare Coleman

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I upgraded, drove it around for a week, then promptly removed it and all office xp components from my system and reinstalled Office 2000.

Several programs and macros that I had written in 2000 would not even start up under 02. Got immediate Run-Time errors.

To me, it just had so many bells and whistles that the program just didn't feel right at all. I can't imagine needing more in a spreadsheet than XL2000 offers - I know a bunch of folks that won't even upgrade from 97.

Just my opinion. Bottom line should be: if 02 has something you gotta have, then go for it, but don't upgrade just for the sake of upgrading.
    - Ricky

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/activation.htm>this</A> before you upgrade to XP.