Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Should I install Java on new Windows 8.1 machine?

I've just bought a new Windows 8.1 laptop for my granddaughter. I poring over it and, to my surprise, there's no Java! Every Windows machine I've owned or used has had Java, but I don't remember ever actually downloading and installing it from scratch. I well remember the big dust-up over security concerns with Java from last year or earlier. The smart guys were telling us to remove or at least disable Java. I did that, but I don't recall any follow-up on that problem. So here we are—do I install Java on this new machine, or do I wait for the day when it just magically appears in the list of programs? Or do I simply proceed without Java at all?

Thanks
    You should have no need to install Java (i.e.: the "Java Runtime Environment") unless you install a program written in the Java programming language which needs the JRE code library.

Don't confuse Java with JavaScript. JavaScript is a scripting language used on most websites.
    Computer Consultant/Technician 15+ years experience.
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It won't appear magically. Don't bother installing it until you really find a need for it, but you or your granddaughter probably won't do so.

See Do you need Java? about 3/4 of the way down the home page at JavaTester.org for the few programs or sites that may still need it.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-04-13 at 21:40.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, guys!